Clever Monkeys

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
I just watched a program on Iowa Public Television Nature Series titled "Clever Monkeys". Monkeys were conscientiously selecting hard stones from a creek bed and carrying them to a large pitted flat stone area where they used their selected hammer stones to crack nuts. Anybody have any monkey hammer stones or seen any monkeys carrying spears?

Upvote 0

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
I'll have to watch for that show, But I did see the same on Oprahs Nature series a while back. I believed all the "nutting stones" people were posting were just geofacts, till I saw that. Now I belive.

OP
OP
iowa trout

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Does put a twist on things irrelevant to North American artifacts ?I wonder how long it took of learned behavior to choose the hardstones ?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not from my tribe. But animals are clever. I saw that some time ago. :icon_sunny:

sorefoot

Jan 23, 2010
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't know about clever monkeys, but....

I don't know about clever monkeys, but I saw a bunch of dumb jacka$$es errect a building over a civil war camp that I used to hunt. They would not let me excavate prior their construction. :(

NorCal Gal

Jan 15, 2011
Northern California
I saw another show on PBS where they were talking about relative brain size of early humans and the change in diet that it took to support later humans' larger brains and they showed monkeys cracking nuts with stones on top of a large stone, too!

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
Treefrog said:
I bet one of em was kin to Michelle Obama......
treefrog my two grandchildren are half black, do you think they need to see or hear this crap... Grow up!
wes

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
I read this forum because of it`s learning potential. Let`s keep it that way. That comment should be deleted.

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
Treefrog said:
sorry guys didn't mean to offend anyone.

Tree
sounds OK to me, i kinda got carried away with the grow up thing. take care and good luck treefrog. wish you many good finds. wes

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
Nice to be back on track...or should I say making tracks in the fields.
Good finds to both of you.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread