Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    us
    Oct 2010
    illinois
    Fisher F4 Boots and walking stick
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Whats the strangest place you have ever found an artifact.

Just bored and was wondering what is the strangest place you have ever found an artifact. Mine I suppose would be in the gravel parking lot of popular arrowhead hunting and fishing spot. I'm certain another artifact hunter had found it and dropped it while returning to his or her vehicle. By the way it was a fairly decent scraper blade. If this snow don't melt i'm gonna have the kids take some of my points and hide them around the house just so I will have something to hunt for. A friend of mine once found a madison point along the mississippi river that was completely encased in ice and was rolling around on the river bank. HH.

Flintchasr
    Flintchasr

On extended Holiday.

Dec 2008
    40 times

Re: Whats the strangest place you have ever found an artifact.

Wasn't the place but the circumstances of the find for me. I was cutting down some trees on one of my properties that is known to have a point show up from time to time. Most of the ground had 2-4 inches of snow cover with a few bare patches. I set up on a small bare patch to fuel and sharpen my saw. Right in that spot, on the ground, I found a white quartz point with the tip broken off. Most of the time I can look all day and find nothing.

us
    May 2006
    whites 1000
    493 times
    Banner Finds (2)

seen a big dead buck in a field walked over to get its antlers and when i moved the deer there was a point under it only 1 i have found ibn the field to date, and have looked alot.

us
    Oct 2010
    illinois

Quote Originally Posted by trevmma
    seen a big dead buck in a field walked over to get its antlers and when i moved the deer there was a point under it only 1 i have found ibn the field to date, and have looked alot.
    Must have been a good luck buck. lol
    Flintchasr

us
    Oct 2010
    illinois

Quote Originally Posted by DigginThePast
    Wasn't the place but the circumstances of the find for me. I was cutting down some trees on one of my properties that is known to have a point show up from time to time. Most of the ground had 2-4 inches of snow cover with a few bare patches. I set up on a small bare patch to fuel and sharpen my saw. Right in that spot, on the ground, I found a white quartz point with the tip broken off. Most of the time I can look all day and find nothing.
    I hear that. Most of the time I can walk a thousand miles and find nothing and then there are other days when i'm not really even hunting and look down and there lays a point. For instance turkey hunting one day on the trail of a hot gobbler I went to jump across a small ditch in the woods in an area that I had never found so much as a flake and I glanced down as I was jumping the ditch and there is the nicest adena I have found to date. And I have looked in that same ditch and the entire area and havent found another point or flake since. I guess I was just in the right place at the right time.

Flintchasr
    Flintchasr

RPG
    us
    Jan 2009
    Alabama
    Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
    26 times

I was working construction in a paper mill back in the 90's when I looked down and saw this.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clovis.JPG 
Views:	651 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	48437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clovis.JPG 
Views:	511 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	497460  

mickey

a friend of mine found a point while taking a leak at a golf course. another friend found a point in the middle of a high school football game!

us
    Ol'Roy

Feb 2011
    Knott, TX
    Garret 250
    176 times

Found a very nice point in a freshly graveled parking lot, as I opened my door!

Cedar Park, TX

us
    Apr 2008
    Southern Ohio
    1300 times
    Banner Finds (4)

I've found some in some odd places, but here's the ones that come to mind.

While we were in Pittsburgh a few years back to watch the MLB All Star game we stayed at a motel about 10 miles away from the stadium. Their parking lot had lots of stones and rocks in the islands where the trees and shrubbery were planted so I just had to look. I found 2 really nice Hammerstones in the rocks around the motel. Both showed good wear and use.

When I was working for a place that sold furniture, appliances, and electronics back around the late 80's to early 90's the guy that owned the place had some dirt brought in to level the back parking lot. After the spread it out and it rained on it a couple of time I was walking to my car and saw a base sticking up out of the ground. I got to looking around and there was flint everywhere. I found that base along with 2 other broken points, a tip, and all kinds of Flint before they finally covered it with gravel. I wish I could have found out where the dirt came from but the guy that delivered it never came back around.

Another time I was going to take a drug test at an office in Columbus and as I was walking in I glanced over at the rocks around the bushes out front and found a decent little Scraper just laying there plain as day. I'm sure people had been walking by it for a long time.
    "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends."

us
    Mar 2009
    442 times

My strangest find was my first find. I worked at a Golf Course when i was 18. We had just cut a path on the mountain and cleared out the brush and trees. After doing this we cut out a T-Off in the side of the mountain. I had to rake the stones out of this fresh cut-out and while i was raking I see this odd shaped stone. It was shaped like a whale tale. I picked it up and looked at it and found a perfect drill hole through the center of it. I at first thought it was a Tomahawk and showed the other guys. Well a buddy of mine who collected artifacts already told me what it was "A Whale Tail Bannerstone" and it was perfect except for the scratch i put in it with the rake. I found out later that where the river was, there was a village. On the side of a mountain though So I am thinking possibly it was a rogue loss. I still hunt that river and find chips and points.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster
    1510 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Back in the late 60's I lived in SE Oklahoma in a prime arrowhead huntin area. I came upon and old home place one day and found their trash dump so I looked through that. Nothin real old, but there was an old radio in a wood case and someone had wedged an arrowhead between the outer veneer and the radio case. The strangest circumstance I found an artifact in was one day I was 3/4 way up Long Mt., in an area that Indians didn't build towns, and felt the call of nature. So while squatting beside a pine tree I noticed half a point. A year later, I was back up in the same spot, lookin around and found the other half of the point.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    Oct 2010
    madison county illinois

in my washing machine. forgot to take one out of my pocket. busted it all to heck. im ready to walk when ever youre ready flintchasr.

us
    Aug 2010
    West Tennessee
    Groundhawk for metal, eyeballs for stone
    49 times

I was tearing down an old house to salvage enough lumber to build a hunting shack when we removet the kitchen cabinet from the wall there was an old canning jar with 58 indian head and wheat pennies, a old boker knife and 16 nice arrowheads. The jar must have gotten pushed back out of sight.

us
    Nov 2010
    Western PA

Great question! Mine was behind home plate of my little league field. Bent down to pick up a foul ball and came up with my first point (which I later learned was a knife). Little did I know it would be 20 years before I found my next. Several hundred later, it still sits in the middle of one of my frames.

us
    Oct 2010
    illinois

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I know one thing for sure I'll probably never pass another landscaped area that has rock and gravel in it. One more I forgot about. About a year ago my uncle and I were talking about arrowhead hunting which he has no interest in and then out of the blue he told he had an indian rock ( that is what he calls them) that he had found in the flower bed of the house he purchased a few years ago. So of course I had to see it. He brings out a really nice discoidal which he had let his grandkids play with which is now covered in crayon. I asked him if he would part with it but he said the grandkids enjoy it to much. Maybe one day he will part with it when his grandkids get older. HH

Flintchasr
    Flintchasr

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors