Found My First Killer Clovis

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally did it. After 45 years of hunting I can finally say I found a killer Clovis.

I went for a quick hunt before work yesterday to see if I would have any luck and the first spot I hit looked like a parade had went through it. So I went to another spot where I had hunted the back ridge last week and figured I would hunt the front ridge by the river, but the backwater was about 4 feet deep between the ridges and there was no way to get out to it without wading and getting soaked.

So I asked the farmer about a small field up near the road and he said he owned it and I could hunt but not much had been found in there over the years. I figured what the Hell, I don't have a lot of time so I'll check it out.

I hadn't been there 5 minutes when I see the piece in the first in situ(see next post) that turns to be a large Knife with some tip damage. I stuck that in my pocket and went on across the ridge and then turned to come back. Just as I got back close to my vehicle I see a base sticking out from under a dirt clod, so I got down on my knees to get a closer look and a picture and I see the flute. I got so darn excited that the in situ you see isn't the real one because I grabbed it pulled it out of the ground before I even thought about the camera. I then thought, damn, I should have taken a picture so I stuck it right back in and took a couple of pics just as I first saw it. Since I have been looking for one of these babies for 45 years you can understand my exuberance of pulling it out so quickly. lol

I immediately called my buddy and my brother to share the good news and finished hunting the field finding a Brewerton to go along with the Clovis. Three pieces from a spot in a little over an hour in a field the farmer said nothing much came from and one is a Clovis. I'm still in awe.

The second picture is what I saw when I got down on my knees so you can see why I grabbed it so quickly. The others are pictures I took this morning after getting home and cleaning it up. It was still dark so I tried using my security light to get a good picture of the flute. I'll take some better ones this afternoon when I get back up and post them. In the 3rd picture you can see how close I was to my vehicle when I found it.

It is exactly 2 inches long by 3/4 inch wide. It is fluted about 1/2 inch on both sides and it is very nicely ground about a 1/2 inch down on each side. It is a bird egg bluish color with white/black splotches which I believe is a type of Coshocton Flint. I can't quit fondling it and I may end up taking it to bed with me.

Attachments

• 102_1239.jpg
    102_1239.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 3,200
  • 102_1241.jpg
    102_1241.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 3,163
  • 102_1243.jpg
    102_1243.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 3,114
  • DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 3,128
  • DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 3,118
  • DSC_0071.jpg
    DSC_0071.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 3,083
  • DSC_0074.jpg
    DSC_0074.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 3,056
  • DSC_0078.jpg
    DSC_0078.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 3,026
  • DSC_0079.jpg
    DSC_0079.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2,991
  • DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 2,991
  • DSC_0080.jpg
    DSC_0080.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2,959
  • DSC_0081.jpg
    DSC_0081.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 2,959
Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the replies and the kind words guys and gals. I really do appreciate them.

I'm still in awe of this beauty. I keep getting it out of the tray and fondling it. I'm hoping if I keep stroking it enough it might get a little bigger. :o ;D

cowboykelly

Dec 10, 2007
Lubbock
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Awesome point and congratulations! The Clovis eludes so many collectors (myself included), really outstanding! Took me four years of weekend deer hunting trips before I found my first point...I was only twelve...and my family told me they didn't think it was an arrowhead. It turned out to be a Hell Gap made from Tescova Jasper and like you, I couldn't hardly put the point down, like holding a little piece of a time machine, its an amazing feeling. For 10 years after that my dad never could understand why I'd rather look for rocks than deer.
Then it happened, he found a 5" Friday Knife in perfect condition; he now understands...Keep looking down at the world!

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how I missed this so a belated congratulations! That Clovis is awesome, so is the material.

Ill never forget that day. I've hunted that same area several times and haven't found much at all. Just the right place at the right time. If it wasn't for the flood I would have never hunted that spot. I would have been on the Woodland site on the river.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice authentic Clovis. I have gotten to the point that I hardly even look at a Clovis posted on the net anymore because they are almost always modern. What a nice surprise to open a thread with a rare point that looks right in every way for a change. Congrats!!! If the fakes were gone folks would realize what an accomplishment this really was.

shadrickhunt

Sep 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn’t happened to a more deserving person! Congratulations.

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice authentic Clovis. I have gotten to the point that I hardly even look at a Clovis posted on the net anymore because they are almost always modern. What a nice surprise to open a thread with a rare point that looks right in every way for a change. Congrats!!! If the fakes were gone folks would realize what an accomplishment this really was.

Thanks Steve. I really appreciate that.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW man- I haven't been on here in a long time, good to see many familiar names and then seeing this! Amazing ~ ! CONGRATS !!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread