Found My First Killer Clovis

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I finally did it. After 45 years of hunting I can finally say I found a killer Clovis.

I went for a quick hunt before work yesterday to see if I would have any luck and the first spot I hit looked like a parade had went through it. So I went to another spot where I had hunted the back ridge last week and figured I would hunt the front ridge by the river, but the backwater was about 4 feet deep between the ridges and there was no way to get out to it without wading and getting soaked.

So I asked the farmer about a small field up near the road and he said he owned it and I could hunt but not much had been found in there over the years. I figured what the Hell, I don't have a lot of time so I'll check it out.

I hadn't been there 5 minutes when I see the piece in the first in situ(see next post) that turns to be a large Knife with some tip damage. I stuck that in my pocket and went on across the ridge and then turned to come back. Just as I got back close to my vehicle I see a base sticking out from under a dirt clod, so I got down on my knees to get a closer look and a picture and I see the flute. I got so darn excited that the in situ you see isn't the real one because I grabbed it pulled it out of the ground before I even thought about the camera. I then thought, damn, I should have taken a picture so I stuck it right back in and took a couple of pics just as I first saw it. Since I have been looking for one of these babies for 45 years you can understand my exuberance of pulling it out so quickly. lol

I immediately called my buddy and my brother to share the good news and finished hunting the field finding a Brewerton to go along with the Clovis. Three pieces from a spot in a little over an hour in a field the farmer said nothing much came from and one is a Clovis. I'm still in awe.

The second picture is what I saw when I got down on my knees so you can see why I grabbed it so quickly. The others are pictures I took this morning after getting home and cleaning it up. It was still dark so I tried using my security light to get a good picture of the flute. I'll take some better ones this afternoon when I get back up and post them. In the 3rd picture you can see how close I was to my vehicle when I found it.

It is exactly 2 inches long by 3/4 inch wide. It is fluted about 1/2 inch on both sides and it is very nicely ground about a 1/2 inch down on each side. It is a bird egg bluish color with white/black splotches which I believe is a type of Coshocton Flint. I can't quit fondling it and I may end up taking it to bed with me.

Attachments

• 102_1239.jpg
    102_1239.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 3,200
  • DSC_0081.jpg
    DSC_0081.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 2,959
  • DSC_0080.jpg
    DSC_0080.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 2,959
  • DSC_0076.jpg
    DSC_0076.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 2,991
  • DSC_0079.jpg
    DSC_0079.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 2,991
  • DSC_0078.jpg
    DSC_0078.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 3,026
  • DSC_0074.jpg
    DSC_0074.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 3,056
  • DSC_0071.jpg
    DSC_0071.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 3,083
  • DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 3,118
  • DSC_0060.jpg
    DSC_0060.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 3,128
  • 102_1243.jpg
    102_1243.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 3,114
  • 102_1241.jpg
    102_1241.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 3,163
Upvote 0
OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the first in situ I mentioned in the post above and the Brewerton I also found. Plus a really crude Chopper I found, took a picture of, and tossed back down.

Attachments

• 102_1248.jpg
    102_1248.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 2,814
  • 102_1247.jpg
    102_1247.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 2,844
  • 102_1246.jpg
    102_1246.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 2,879
  • 102_1245.jpg
    102_1245.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 2,916
  • 102_1238.jpg
    102_1238.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 2,909
  • 102_1237.jpg
    102_1237.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 2,934
  • 102_1236.jpg
    102_1236.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 2,976
F

Felinepeachy

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
Laie_16.gif
Laie_22.gif
Laie_25.gif
Laie_28.gif
Laie_3.gif
Laie_36.gif
Laie_33.gif
Laie_35.gif
Laie_37.gif
Laie_38.gif
Laie_39.gif
Laie_40.gif
Laie_78.gif
Laie_78.gif
Laie_78.gif
Laie_78.gif
Laie_78.gif
Laie_84.gif

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Dang rookie can't even hold off long enough to take a real insitu......lol.... :tongue3: :tongue3:

Fantastic little point...congrats to you SRV...you sure deserve it.

You have my banner vote for sure.

Also...about the crude chopper....I think I'd keep it, you never know it might have been made by the same people that made that Clovis. I'd want to keep every piece of flint I found in that little field.

Betcha can't wait to go back.

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
45 years great story SRV I enjoy your posts here and on other sites long time comming but well earned super congrats to ya got my vote I currently dont see any stones in the header cant let that happen, that was farmers favorite spot ya know LoL-trout

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
SRV said:
I finally did it. After 45 years of hunting I can finally say I found a killer Clovis.

Good looking Clovis, congrats.

Did you find the below piece in the same location?

Attachments

• 102_1248.jpg
    102_1248.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 2,629

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SRV said:

I went for a quick hunt before work yesterday to see if I would have any luck and the first spot I hit looked like a parade had went through it. So I went to another spot where I had hunted the back ridge last week and figured I would hunt the front ridge by the river, but the backwater was about 4 feet deep between the ridges and there was no way to get out to it without wading and getting soaked.

So I asked the farmer about a small field up near the road and he said he owned it and I could hunt but not much had been found in there over the years. I figured what the Hell, I don't have a lot of time so I'll check it out.

I hadn't been there 5 minutes when I see the piece in the first in situ(see next post) that turns to be a large Knife with some tip damage. I stuck that in my pocket and went on across the ridge and then turned to come back. Just as I got back close to my vehicle I see a base sticking out from under a dirt clod, so I got down on my knees to get a closer look and a picture and I see the flute. I got so darn excited that the in situ you see isn't the real one because I grabbed it pulled it out of the ground before I even thought about the camera. I then thought, damn, I should have taken a picture so I stuck it right back in and took a couple of pics just as I first saw it. Since I have been looking for one of these babies for 45 years you can understand my exuberance of pulling it out so quickly. lol

I immediately called my buddy and my brother to share the good news and finished hunting the field finding a Brewerton to go along with the Clovis. Three pieces from a spot in a little over an hour in a field the farmer said nothing much came from and one is a Clovis. I'm still in awe.

The second picture is what I saw when I got down on my knees so you can see why I grabbed it so quickly. The others are pictures I took this morning after getting home and cleaning it up. It was still dark so I tried using my security light to get a good picture of the flute. I'll take some better ones this afternoon when I get back up and post them. In the 3rd picture you can see how close I was to my vehicle when I found it.

It is exactly 2 inches long by 3/4 inch wide. It is fluted about 1/2 inch on both sides and it is very nicely ground about a 1/2 inch down on each side. It is a bird egg bluish color with white/black splotches which I believe is a type of Coshocton Flint. I can't quit fondling it and I may end up taking it to bed with me.

Beautiful point, thousands of years old......... Congrats :icon_thumright:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o

Great point :headbang: and nice pictures in the field :hello: well deserved banner :headbang:

SS

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
The Holy Grail....what we all search for and only a few find....Congratulations, you`ve reached the top through perseverance, miles of muddy feet and dedication to your hobby. I`m still trudging, maybe this will be my year also. BANNER FIND!!!!!

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CONGRATS ON THE BANNER ! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
The Grim Reaper

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot guys and gals. I really appreciate the comments. I think this might be a record for fastest ever to make the Banner. lol

11KBP, yes the Chopper came from the same field. I guess I need to go back up there and get it since more than one person has told me they may be associated.

archer, I know. Talk about "rookie" exuberance. I still can't believe I pulled it before getting the picture. DOH!!! Oh well, I'll make sure I get my next one. Just hope it doesn't take a nother 45 years since I'll be turning 52 next Friday. lol I can just me in my Hoveround cruising the fields at 97.

jpitt1970

Jan 5, 2009
Huntsville. Al
Congrats on the banner! That is on my wishlist FO SHO!

Hopefully, I'll get mine Sunday...found a honeyhole of a Bolen site a couple of weekends ago at a new site close by home...only 1/2 mile!! I had a dream the night before about finding a Clovis on this site, but never made it to "that spot" because I found the Bolen site on the way to it.

We are supposed to get dumped on tonight and tomorrow and my site has a huge washout in the middle of it.

igarod

Apr 17, 2010
congrats steve one heck of a birthday present will probly be that way next weekend will stop by and see ya

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions