Accidents and mishaps while rock hunting...

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
This thread is for Twitch....tell some stories on yourselves.

I was hunting a creek at my grandparent's farm and decided to cut thru the timber on our place across some ridges to the spot in the creek where I left off the day before rather than to go directly to the ridge that leads to that spot. Thought I might stumble across a shed on the way. Anyhow there are several deep V gouges eroded in the hillside seperating different ridge fingers running down off the main ridge..some of em are pretty deep maybe 10 feet with fairly steep sides. Well anyhow I came to one of em and there was a big ole dead tree bridged across it. At first I thought I'd just walk across on the tree like I did when I was a kid but it was pretty rotten and I wasn't sure it would hold me. So rather than walk up or down hill to go around the gully it I decided to go thru it. Slid down one side of it to the bottom then started climbing out. Well it was a bit soggy and I kept slipping but was making progress. As I neared the top I gained better footing and better speed and BAM...something very heavy nailed me on the top of the head. Hit so hard that my teeth mashed together and my neck jammed. I'd forgotten about that darn tree layin across the gully and came up underneath it. The blow knocked me down and I slid back to the bottom of the gully stunned. I had to sit there for a few minutes and wipe the cobwebs out before climbing back out again watching out where I was going this time. Needless to say I was finished for the day. I had a severe headache for a couple days and was pretty well concussed.

I'll tell one more on myself for now.

Was rock hunting in a creek in late January and happened upon a place where the creek had eroded into the side of a hill creating a pretty tall bank over which hangs a rock outcropping that looked like it might be large enough to enter. Problem is there had been a LOT of moisture and there was water running out of the hillside creating a giant ICE slide down the side of the hill under the outcrop. I wanted to climb up and search the exposed dirt around the ice and at the base of the rock outcrop so I stood there in the creek noticing some mud and rock on the ice and some gaps in the ice where it was thawing. I talked myself into thinking I could climb up the ice nearly 15 feet to the rock outcrop. Bad idea. I got about 3 quarters of the way up and stepped on a particularly greasy spot of mud and of course my foot went out from under me. I did a real nice slow motion triple lutz, fell on my rear on the ice and plunged down the ice into the partially frozen creek. Guess what happened next? Yup you guessed it...I broke through the rotting ice and doused myself almost head to toe in water less than a foot deep but deep enough to get real wet. I got lucky though...the ice broke my fall...AND my backpack holding my expensive camera took flight and landed across the creek...camera not broke...just my pride.

Upvote 0

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
One time I jumped a creek and sank up to my waist in quickmuck and cemented myself into the bank. It took me along time to finally pull my legs out and then go back in for my shoes...Good times.

All because I saw this scraper across the creek.

Attachments

• phpFPlBVWPM.jpg
    phpFPlBVWPM.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 582

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
My girlfriend and I were hiking off-trail through a state park in southern Indiana looking for geodes. Just rained that morning and while crossing a relatively small creek heading down hill, the inevitable happened. Just as I placed one foot down on the creekbed, I noticed it was a big piece of slate I was stepping onto. Needless to say, my second step never happened (LOL). Went sliding at least eighty feet down the creek on my butt. The funny part of the story though - as I was taking that first step, I was telling my girlfriend to be real careful because it was probably real slick... :o :tongue3:

Rockiologist

Sep 7, 2010
NW Florida
Detector(s) used
eye
Well I cant count the flat tires, running out of gas or times I have had to be pulled out of places a vehicle shouldn't be. Those were all vehicles though. To me the worse would be turkey/rock hunting last spring. Last spring I spent turkey season hunting birds by morning and rocks the rest of the day. The second weekend coming down out of the Ozarks to the river valley after the morning I crossed a low water bridge on the way out. Now the bridge was there when I went in that morning of course but it was dark so I thought I would slow down and look of the bridge to see if I could see any flakes. Sure enough in the bottom of the clear creek I could see three wholes just laying there. I put the e brake on stepped out on the bridge and started down and about the time I realized there was dry allgea on the side and my boots were wet and well you know what happened next. What you cant imagine is that I landed on my back and rolled down into the creek where I still was when my hunting buddy came looking for me. I missed my back up real good and my pride even more!!!

ShieldJaguar

Aug 9, 2009
KC, MO
I have been going to Mexico with an archie friend of mine to work a battlefield site in the state of Oaxaca for many years now. (my handle ShieldJaguar is taken from the Mayan King from the city Yaxchilan) We go at the end of March beginning of April and every year I would have the same problem... constipation, lol. Maybe it's the car ride down - from Kansas City it is a 3 day drive - and the endless snacking in the car. It could be the M.R.E.s that we eat while sleeping in the jungle or the crazy heat, lack of water and dehydration. My guess is it's a mixture of all, lol. So one year we were on the mountain where we work and one of my friends said he was going to break in the new latrine that we had just set up and walked off. It had been several days since my last movement and I was starting to get desperate so I mumbled something about him being lucky under my breath and walked away to search the cow paths for artifacts - you can find a bunch that way. So as I was getting desperate to relieve myself and no relief was coming I started praying. Lol, I know it's strange but I pray about everything so it just seemed the logical thing to do. :D So, I was searching for artifacts and praying for my own relief when I slipped in there that I wanted to find an axehead. No more than 3 minutes later something broke loose and I had to make a quick decision, run for the latrine or the closest boulder to hide behind, lol. Camp was a good hike away so I chose the boulder, lol. I scampered as fast as I could to the boulder, kind of slid to a stop, put my hand out to brace myself and I'll be darned if I didn't put my hand right on an axe, lmao. It was my first Myan/Mixtec axe that I had found.

God works in mysterious ways...lol.

Here is a pic of the axe - sorry it's not a great pic. I'll start another thread in a couple days and post a bunch of pics of my Olmec, Myan, Mixtec and Aztec artifacts. I was able to keep a bunch of stuff that I found. One axehead in particular is really big and just plain awesome.

Shield

Attachments

• axe.jpg
    axe.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 502
OP
OP
archer66

archer66

May 3, 2009
Northeast Missouri
Shield....

Thank you SO MUCH for showing the pic of the axe and not the accident you nearly had before you got to that boulder!!!

Funny stuff...I've had a few "poop emergencies" (can I say poop here?) in the woods myself...even had to sacrifice a shirt a time or two.

Sorry....but artifacts ususally aren't found near restroom facilities.

ShieldJaguar

Aug 9, 2009
KC, MO
Lol, yeah, I had to sacrifice the boxers I was wearing. There was just no way to save my dignity in that situation. At least I got an axe out of it, lol.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great storeys everyone.
Here is a recent one. Couple weeks ago I was out running my duck boat on the Tennessee river. I was running my nose up into the banks looking for flint. I saw a good mud flat and flew in towards it trimming my motor as the front end bumped to a stop.
I went to the front of the boat and peered at the mud flat and saw some flakes so I leaped out onto the flat. It was cold and I had on what I call Frankenstein boots that weigh about 10 lbs each but are toasty warm for sitting in a tree stand. Anyways when I hit the flat I instantly sunk down to my knees. I was stuck fast in the mud. :help: I just stood there feeling the water and mud fill my knee boots. I could not reach the boat or anything to pull myself out. A boat went by and I was kinda embarrassed so I just waved :hello: and they just stared at me lol. I remembered 37 telling a similar story on here so I went flat against the mud and wiggled out of my boots and actually wiggled back to the boat. It was red mud and I was a mess with no shoes and soaking wet.
In my socks now I found a small log and crawled back out and with the help of a stick dug my boots out rinsed out my socks put the boots back on and hunted the rest of the day. I found one whole point that day :icon_sunny:
This is probably one of my tamer adventures .

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Im a creek and river hunter so I use a stick with a slotted ladel to pick up the deep ones. The first one I ever made lasted 2 hrs. While walkind in the river at a really low flow I slipped on the slick algae covered rocks. Instead of putting the base of my stick down I put the spoon down and snapped it. Went home wet and disappointed and made my second one. Again while giving it a little flex to test it it snapped. On my third and its still in 1 peice. Had our fair share of filled waders and wet feet. Guess it aint to bad if I havent been waist deep in mud. Happy hunting

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy in ohio last year was actually found dead in a big sink hole, his friend dropped him off to go hunting and they found him with no clothes on in the hole. they think someone had somethuing to do with it, but from my expeirance he took his clothes off to climb in the hole (to look for artifact layer)so he would not get his friends car muddy, and had a heat stroke or heartattack trying to get out, no clue on his age.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Archer - that's funny right there. Ha ha ha!

Shield - We've all had to cut squares out of our shirts to account for that. No shame brother.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twitch said:
Archer - that's funny right there. Ha ha ha!

Shield - We've all had to cut squares out of our shirts to account for that. No shame brother.

I agree no Shame!!! Been a couple of times out there and had to sacrifice a sock........lol.........Easier to deal with than tearing the shirt............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions