Southern Illinois Point. What type?

sorefoot

Jan 23, 2010
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My 10 year old son skunked me on our last outing in southern Illinois. It is about 2.25 inches long, mostly white. Any clue as to type?

2-16-11.jpg

Thanks.

Upvote 0

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
hello and welcome to Tnet. Sorefoot!! from Tmodel in central highland rim of Tn..one thing that i am most sure of is that your sons point has been used as a knife, resharping the way that point is put of balance.not sure on type , Srv!! is most likely right but i would like to know why he did not put the scottsbluff in the running for the name of the point!! Terry

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
t-model - Scottsbluff is out because it's not the right region and more clearly its not the right flaking. I think it's a late Archaic stemmed point. I do believe you're right though on the knife usage rather than being a projectile.

Good find.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
hay Twitch!! i though he said they fount it in southern Il.. i could not see flaking on my sample good enough to compare so i need better information.. thank you. Terry

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Terry - it was found in So Illinois. And the specific site on which it was found does have an early Archaic component ( I found a nice beveled, serrated Dovetail, and numerous early Archaic side notches). It also has a late Archaic component and a Mississippian component. Nonetheless, Scottsbluff is not a point that is normally found in IL. I'm sure somewhere someone has a book with an IL Scottsbluff in it. It's possible that there may have ACTUALLY been a Scottsbluff found in IL, but it would be a real rarity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread