question for the digger/sifters...

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
See that pile of dirt below the erosion? It's fine dirt, I was wondering if it looks like any sifted pile you've seen left behind? When I first found this site, I considered it natural erosion, I seen dirt wash out like that, but if I'm right, this is a campsite that would have been known, and possibly dug at before, but recently, if that pile is from sifting. Found lots of flakes, one broke scraper and a hematite something. all on top of the ground. With my metal detector I got a shotgun headstamp, and flint popped out of the target hole. Looks to be an interesting site! And we're finally getting some rain :hello2:

Attachments

• campsite 003.JPG
    campsite 003.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 356
  • campsite 024.JPG
    campsite 024.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 354
  • campsite 025.JPG
    campsite 025.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 344
Upvote 0
OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks ohioaxman, here's another view:

Attachments

• campsite 021.JPG
    campsite 021.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 330

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
have to agree with Ohioaxeman!! it is a sifter pile, look at pile only very small rocks and flacks on top of very fine dirt.. now look to the left of pile in first photo see all the fairly large all the ground that and pile looks like i have left sifter sites.. sift dirt in pile and throw trash left in sifter after i got what i wanted to my right out of the way!!! Terry

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it looks like sifted dirt to me too, Lisa. We have a place that looks identical to that and we've found artifacts and lots of flint washed out of the bank. If that is a camp spot, look for every little place of erosion---all those little drainage ditches will have flint in them. Is is really close to the creek? We also find flint and arrowheads around the bases of trees where the ground is eroding away.
Looks like a great spot---Hope you find lots!

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks Terry and Carmon, then sifted it is. Not right on the creek, it's maybe 1/4 mile away. But I've been looking for a campsite due to what I've read and found in the creek. It's exciting to think maybe I found it. Now, just let it keep raining......

lisa

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
if that line of trees over your pack and is that a metal thingee though you were hooked on arrowheads! if that line of trees is the creek and not just a fence line. that is plenty close enough on high ground un like pale faces village or camp is out of flash flood zone. TERRY

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Terry, the tree line in the back isn't fenceline or the creek, but there is a sort of 'draw' or gully there. And yes, I'm hooked on arrowheads, and finding the metal things too :laughing7:

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sure looks like throw dirt to me. It's been leveled a bit by nature though. I noticed finer flakes tend to congragate along the suface of rain washed throw dirt piles. Thanks, Lone Star

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
naturegirl said:
Terry, the tree line in the back isn't fenceline or the creek, but there is a sort of 'draw' or gully there. And yes, I'm hooked on arrowheads, and finding the metal things too :laughing7:

Good luck on your finds there looks like a good area

Troyounce

Nov 18, 2003
Clyde,Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
GP3000
TESORO LOBO
GARRETT GTI 2500 + Eagle eye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep...Someones been digging! Looks like a good spot to keep working too! Especially with the flint fragments and hematite there!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread