Andice heartbreaker....umm calf-creek...

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Only I'm not heartbroken, I am pretty thrilled with it. Buckshot and I were kayaking a new creek, heading back after being skunked when I paddled by this. The wind was blowing pretty hard and I had to back up three times, to get the insitu. You can see it's almost in the water, and inches from slipping down into thick soft mud. It's Kay county chert. I included a picture of it's almost twin because they are so similar, this one has even deeper notches. sunburned, tired and happy!

naturegirl.

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 609
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 998
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 614
  • 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    55.3 KB · Views: 638
  • 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 562
Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

Re: Andice heartbreaker

OMG it is gorgeous material Looks like wood grain. You must have an eye like a hawk to see that from a kayak. Well done!!! The other one is very nice too. :notworthy:

Charmin

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2007
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm III and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What a find!! Even if it is broken---Does it look like a fresh break? Maybe you can go back when the creek goes down this summer and find the rest of it?!
Very cool, Lisa!!

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Thanks peachy, I was paddling right along the bank, and the sunlight made it kind of glow. It has a really dark look to it, for this material, lots of times it's a light pink.

How about this one Carmon? Not whole, but I can't believe I found another one! And I Id'd this without a book even :laughing9:
I yelled OMG at buckshot, then hollared andice. He didn't believe me till he turned around and came back. He could see it from several feet away. then we walked the banks and found a handful of flakes, but now we have a promising new spot. First time to have the boats out too this year. It was a good trip after all.

Thanks for the comments guys!

F

Felinepeachy

LOL I bet you were so excited. I can just hear ya hollering :laughing7:

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

;D
And Sandcreek, I forgot to answer you, we don't think it's a fresh break, it has a worn feeling on the edges.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

Great in-situ and find there. Those Andice / Calf Creek types are really unique and well made pieces, I know they're highly regarded in your area. Nice looking material.

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

I'm pretty sure the material is Kay County chert because of the banding, I was hoping alibates when I first saw how red it was, but Kay co. gets really dark red too. I can't believe it's as whole as it is, I think it's been sharpened a lot on the skinny side.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome find naturgirl. And that other one is just superb. I think I would be sending your latest find off to Dr Gomer and let him restore it to it's original brilliance.

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon

That's a nice find for a heartbreaker! It's always interesting to checkout new places. You never know what's around the next bend...
buckshot

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Wow, SRV, I never even considered something like that, :icon_scratch: It would be nice to have it whole.

Yep. buckshot, and the next bend, and the next one, and the next one, and.....oh no, HOW far from the truck are we??

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Gomer does great work and he is very reasonable.

You can check out some of his work here and contact him for a price. I've had one point restored by him and I've got a couple Pipes and a Shell piece I'm going to send him soon to have fixed.

http://drgomer.com/fp/lithicarts/

OP
OP
naturegirl

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009

Ok, after re-reading why my first one was identified as an andice, I'm changing this one to a calf creek, mainly because of the stem shape, slightly expanding and concave. I'll play it safe from now on and just stick with 'calf-creek culture' :icon_scratch: Still think about having it restored though!

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Naturegirl!! i agree calfcreek culture it is for this type point for me to. after looking at your calls and projectile point .com page OK. and compairing tracings of both points outline my head is spinning! what did you use as a sours for your call on the andice. could be me misreading would not be the first time. Terry

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Very nice Calf Creek point NG! The picture of the two points together shows the difference between the typical Calk Creek and Andice points. Notice how the Calf has the expanding base and the Andice is contracting. Although both are Calf Creek complex, there are vast differences between the two.

(Rant on): As far as projectile points.net goes...that site is a joke and it's far worse than Overstreet. I appreciate people wanting to put more information out there for collectors, but it does far more harm than good when it's ill-researched misinformation. (Rant off)

F

Felinepeachy

Neanderthal said:
(Rant on): As far as projectile points.net goes...that site is a joke and it's far worse than Overstreet. I appreciate people wanting to put more information out there for collectors, but it does far more harm than good when it's ill-researched misinformation. (Rant off)

Can you maybe "point" us in the right direction LOL I know I could certainly use the info as well as others here. Come on man, help us get our learn on.
mail1.gif

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Felinepeachy said:
Neanderthal said:

Can you maybe "point" us in the right direction LOL I know I could certainly use the info as well as others here. Come on man, help us get our learn on.
mail1.gif

It's in the works! :-X

Actually, I highly recommend everyone join your local Archaeological / Anthropological society and get their hands on any publications they can for their immediate area. There are several good publications out there, regardless of what area you are from. Regionally specific references are usually the most accurate. There is no single 'end-all-beat-all' publication out there. Every single one of them have errors, some just far more than others. As for something that cover large areas or North America as a whole, everyone should own the Perino/ Bell series of books. It's a four volume set that is still available and they are (in my opinion) the best bang-for-a-buck that there is as far as typology publications. I also suggest getting Noel Justices books - he makes me cock my eyebrows a lot, but it really is good material to have.

In short, anyone can have their ideas put in print but that doesn't mean they know what they're talking about.

F

Felinepeachy

Thanks for the info. One question though, if I join a local Archaeological / Anthropological club are they gonna make me tell them where I find all my stuff? LOL :laughing9: :dontknow:

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Felinepeachy said:
Thanks for the info. One question though, if I join a local Archaeological / Anthropological club are they gonna make me tell them where I find all my stuff? LOL :laughing9: :dontknow:

Not at all, you don't even have to attend meetings (but it's fun sometimes when you do). Usually you'll get newsletters telling you what's going on in your area, gives access to publications, etc. I am a member of many state societies primarily because I like some of the books and mags that comes with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread