Two Beads And A Point

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
That needle tip point is great. Those beads are very interesting. Congratulatuations on a short but sucessfull hunt.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Man you've been doing really well lately to say the least. Id say yer right on the money with Jacks pentagonal.

Take it easy man,
Chuck

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
that pretty point looks like it was turned in to a prettyer drill for those shell beeds would you drop one of the beeds over the point and look where it stops for use ware as a drill.. please! Terry

F

Felinepeachy

WTG!! It seems like you never go home empty handed. Nice point!

About the shell beads, how can you tell it's a shell bead as opposed to just a segment of a crinoid, which I find everywhere here in Kentucky.

crinoid pieces.jpg

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Felinepeachy said:
WTG!! It seems like you never go home empty handed. Nice point!

About the shell beads, how can you tell it's a shell bead as opposed to just a segment of a crinoid, which I find everywhere here in Kentucky.

Color and texture basically. Most shell beads are a bright bleached white. Shell beads have manufactured and usewear characteristics. Polish and tiny scratches or grinding lines from being ground or shaped into bead form. The drilled area usually has alot of usewear polish.

Shell beads on the left, crinoid segment on the right.

OP
OP
Th3rty7

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
tmodel said:
that pretty point looks like it was turned in to a prettyer drill for those shell beeds would you drop one of the beeds over the point and look where it stops for use ware as a drill.. please! Terry

Thanks Terry, I see what you're saying but imo these Jacks Reef types were made very thin and with needle tips to penetrate game, they are some of the very first arrowpoint types used with the bow. Here are two more with similar distal ends.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread