Sifting gravel bars

buckshot

Mar 31, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Hey jaron3, I havn't ever sifted on any gravel bars. The mesh you mention should work ok, just depends on how fine/coarse, large or small the material is that you are sifting. But you'll be able to figure out pretty quick what works an what doesnt. I would only spend time sifting a gravel bar if it was known to have habitational activity in that area or part of the river or creek. Also if i had found any artifacts or flint material on top of the bars. That would be the deciding factor for me to consider sifting. If its a river your talking about i would also check the feeder creeks that run into it... Good Luck...
buckshot

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
do not get discouraged i posted one [effigy for Airborne80] a while back, it had over a hundred hits before i ever got a responce. it had 859 hits the last tine i looked at it, and only about 10 different responces, but some of those 10 responded several times so after all it turned out a good post you never know how it is going to go.. i have never sifted gravel bars, but what sifting i have done i will not use over 1/4 inch screen because we have bird points in my area that will go stright through any thing larger.. what state are you hunting in? Terry

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
a good example of a bird point is in[ more madisons] by Jonzer!! that is why i said 1/4 inch but i checked my current scouting screen and it is 3/16 inch in bottom of cold drink case.. Terry

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
I have not sifted, but I was advised once to use a rake on some of the larger gravel bars in this creek I used to hunt. Well after many hours it paid off with that dovetail you see in my avatar. Still recall that feeling.

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
I have done really well a couple times sifting. If I did not find A LOT of debitage I would move on. Eventually I got lucky.

bookummdano

Jan 17, 2010
alabama
the half inch is the best anything smaller will tend to stay clogged and not move the sand through, i used a treated 1x6 once the wood completely dries out(not green) it floats on its own, also its good to turn thedeep part of the sifter down and put your rocks on the top, quite a large pile will accumulate and this helps it blow out down the stream, i have2 handles and use rope to tie it off or tie a weight to so it doesnt float off other good places to look are where sand suddenly meets rock or clay many times once you dig down there will be a (pack) of rocks around herer when you get to the pea gravel and ping pong sized white rocks your in the good stuff, colors of points will vary due to the elements they were subjected to some creeks they are black and others are an orange color look through piles carefully i have seen waller knives and other oddities and even found these packs as deep as a shovel can go into the clay and points still found, its alot of work i have had good luck with it but its hit and miss, one of my friends got into a good pack in a shelf in the clay and was pulling out 1 per every 3 or four scoops but those are few and far between if theres any advice or help i can give you let me know to many people are all secretive bout techniques etc i will not give away my spots but all my knowledge on the subject. i am currently trying to find someone that will instruct me on the technique and plans to build a dredge several people in my area use these and have collections you wouldnt believe but no one will tell me how to make them :-[ i will try to post some pics of my sifter

OP
OP
J

jaron3

Jul 8, 2009
Thanks for postin up everyone.

The creek I plan on sifting is the first creek I've found any points in. I don't believe that anyone has ever walked this creek for points before. If someone has it was a very long time ago. I'm finding a lot of flint in it but only found two worked pieces. My eyes are not trained well enough yet to spot small debitage. The flint I am finding all looks the same, orange cortex, but when you break it some pieces break into very nice blades and some break into squarish, chunky pieces. I'm guessing that the stuff that breaks nicely is tempered and the other flint is not. I may be reading too much into it. I'm really not sure. Any other tips or advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
My experience is that sifting uneroded gravel beds from the bank of the river or a lake is much, much easier than hand sifting river deposited gravel bars. In many areas those bars are hard as rock and it would take a backhoe to get into them. If you are going get out in river, the softer material under the water line is much friendlier for grubbing.

OP
OP
J

jaron3

Jul 8, 2009
Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I may have some time friday or saturday to get out.

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i have a book from the 60s that show that as one way of hunting.
in it clovis (large) go from 2.00 to 2.50

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've actually done that before. I built a 2 x 2 sifter with 1/4" mesh screen, because we have the small so called 'bird points' in that area and will slip through half inch. I was at a known archaeological site and was trying to establish the actual extant, because the original survey had it wrong, I was pretty sure. The best part, I was out in two feet of water in a lake, scooping up dirt from the bed, so it was very easy to sift. I did find some stuff, and did determine the site extended farther east than suspected. Which really is worth nothin in the real world I guess, but I did add to the knowledge of the place and found some artifacts.

travelorian

May 19, 2011
Owen County, Ky
I have started sifting this creek I am looking in. I have been using a Arched Handled Beach Scoop. The one that they use to find targets on the beach. It works great.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
There are a lot of variables to this. I hope it's private land and you have permission. It's considered "digging" and illegal in some (most) states.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Looks like you got some good advice jaron, any idea what happened to RichPa?, haven't seen him around since he found that killer dovetail.

OP
OP
J

jaron3

Jul 8, 2009
Hey 37 - He started job hunting hard core and actually got a new job about an hour and a half from his home. Between work, traveling to and from work and looking for a place to live closer to work he has no time to do much else. Next time I talk to him I'll let him know you asked about him.

I did get a lot of good advice. As I always do on this site. Great people and a great resource.

Thanks everybody.

J

JoshnMO

Neanderthal said:
There are a lot of variables to this. I hope it's private land and you have permission. It's considered "digging" and illegal in some (most) states.
True Neanderthal, good thing you pointed that out. :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread