6/5/2011 ohio field hunt,monster celt find!!

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
The plan for todays hunt was for choo and I to go kayaking/creekin since all of our spots were freshly plowed and needed rain.Mother nature changed our plans last nite with 3 to 4 inches of rain.The creeks were rippin this morning so we decided to hit one of choos honey holes and the hunt got off to a killer start within the first 30 minutes.The tapered celt is 7 and half inches long and in incredible condition(the pics do it no justice),it is highly polished on the whole piece except for the bit which leads me to believe it was never used,there was about 3 inches of one face exposed when I walked up on it I had the feeling I had a hardstone piece but had no idea until I flipped it out of the dirt,and to add icing to the cake, choo found a sweet 3 inch+ point 20 feet away from where I found the celt.I found 4 good points,the intrusive mound point is a beauty,2 hafted scrapers and a few endscrapers and blades,not to mention 20 brokes.It was a killer hunt and choo found some killer flint as well(thx bro for taking me to that spot today!!).good luck hunting everyone.
IMAGE_396.jpg
IMAGE_397.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 561.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 563.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 564.jpg
IMAGE_398.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 566.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 567.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 568.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 573.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
choo said:
Hey Creek I cant believe that celt isnt up on the banner yet. whats up with that.
I dont know,usually a piece like that comes out of a hopewell mound.Maybe if I had dug up a mound and found it it would be gracing the banner rite now??Heck I would rather have my celt than a tennis bracelet or some coins anyways. :headbang:

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
Th3rty7 said:
How's this not banner? Decided to reactivate my account to vote on this. Personally I think your axe is banner material as well. Great finds dude, you guys are tearing it up.
Dude I was wondering where the heck you have been??shoot me a pm bro.Thx for the vote and great comments I appreciate it.Yea that axe is pretty sweet also.I will be lookin for that pm honkey!!

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
mickey said:
it doesn't get much better. can you take a close up of the bit? strange it wasn't polished. you are thinking ceremonial? maybe it just needed a good sharpening. i have seen several trophy axes that were intentionally not sharpened, but not a tapered hopewell celt like the one you found. congrats and continued success! ps are you going to bennett's picnic this weekend? see my previous post. brian.
Thx for the comments mickey,I will post some more pics tuesday evening.It could be a ceremonial piece or the poor fella just never got to use it??Most of the big hopewell tapered celts have been found in mounds other than that they are rare especially that size.What is also odd about this piece is that it has sides/faces to it,not rounded like most tapered celts.In one of the pics you can see what I am talking about.I will check out your post,it would be fun to maybe go to that picnic.I have been to flintridge ones and they have been pretty cool.good luck hunting yourself!!

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
* Forgot to say that a big first stage celt like that could possibly be part of a cache. I'd probably probe that area to satisfy my own curiosity, jmo.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Killer find. A Celt that big and in that good of condition is a very rare find.

Congrats man!!

Definitely got my vote for the Banner.

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
Th3rty7 said:
* Forgot to say that a big first stage celt like that could possibly be part of a cache. I'd probably probe that area to satisfy my own curiosity, jmo.
funny you should mention that.When we started to hunt this certain area that we already new was a killer spot, the first row choo found 4 knives/blades and then on the return in the same area is where I found the celt.we have speculated and a dig will be happening sometime in the future. :thumbsup:

F

Felinepeachy

Greg, congratulations on the banner, it's well deserved!!!! :notworthy:

misc20.gif

Attachments

• misc20.gif
    misc20.gif
    69.7 KB · Views: 4,471

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on making the Banner Creek! that is one cool piece of hardstone.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on the nice Celt and making the banner.
I always look along the creeks and sand bars but nothing yet. Some day.
roger

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on making the Banner Greg. I can't believe they didn't use one of the cleaned up pictures though. lol

You need to take that to the next ASO show. It will definitely win Best Stone Tool.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread