6/5/2011 ohio field hunt,monster celt find!!

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
The plan for todays hunt was for choo and I to go kayaking/creekin since all of our spots were freshly plowed and needed rain.Mother nature changed our plans last nite with 3 to 4 inches of rain.The creeks were rippin this morning so we decided to hit one of choos honey holes and the hunt got off to a killer start within the first 30 minutes.The tapered celt is 7 and half inches long and in incredible condition(the pics do it no justice),it is highly polished on the whole piece except for the bit which leads me to believe it was never used,there was about 3 inches of one face exposed when I walked up on it I had the feeling I had a hardstone piece but had no idea until I flipped it out of the dirt,and to add icing to the cake, choo found a sweet 3 inch+ point 20 feet away from where I found the celt.I found 4 good points,the intrusive mound point is a beauty,2 hafted scrapers and a few endscrapers and blades,not to mention 20 brokes.It was a killer hunt and choo found some killer flint as well(thx bro for taking me to that spot today!!).good luck hunting everyone.
IMAGE_396.jpg
IMAGE_397.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 561.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 563.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 564.jpg
IMAGE_398.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 566.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 567.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 568.jpg
greg-rocks artifact collection 573.jpg

Upvote 0

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Creek that was a killer hunt you killed it that celt is awesome I vote banner that is one of the nicest field found celts I have ever seen. Great hunt Greg cant wait to hit it again.

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow!!That's incredible finds you have there and I really like that point in pic 6&7 !! Congrats!!

ohio

Bronze Member
May 28, 2007
Super celt. Amazing that that baby came out of a field. Congrats man.

Chuck

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How did you beat Choo to that one?
Really nice celt. The points are sweet too.
Good hunt!

OP
OP
creek astronaut

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
choo said:
Hey Creek that was a killer hunt you killed it that celt is awesome I vote banner that is one of the nicest field found celts I have ever seen. Great hunt Greg cant wait to hit it again.
thx dude,be nice if that bad boy made it to the banner?????lol

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
What an awesome find!!! I'll vote banner. It's a worthy piece for sure. Don't find'em like that everyday. That first point is a real dandy too.

M

mickey

it doesn't get much better. can you take a close up of the bit? strange it wasn't polished. you are thinking ceremonial? maybe it just needed a good sharpening. i have seen several trophy axes that were intentionally not sharpened, but not a tapered hopewell celt like the one you found. congrats and continued success! ps are you going to bennett's picnic this weekend? see my previous post. brian.

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Creek I cant believe that celt isnt up on the banner yet. whats up with that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread