Upvote 0

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Used core for making points from. It looks like it has been exhausted in use.............................GTP

OP
OP
T

TretinIowa

May 23, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Get-the-point said:
Used core for making points from. It looks like it has been exhausted in use.............................GTP
Sorry, Im very new to this so it may be a dumb question but when you say core do you mean it was a larger piece that they would chip pieces off to make points until this was all the what left over?

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TretinIowa said:
Get-the-point said:
Sorry, Im very new to this so it may be a dumb question but when you say core do you mean it was a larger piece that they would chip pieces off to make points until this was all the what left over?

Not a dumb question it is a logical reply to a question not fully explained. Yes that is exactly what it is ( a core flake that is). Now that I have had a second look at this, I noticed a couple of things about it that makes me believe that it is a Fleshing tool or Tanning knife. It is a nice one too by the way. After looking at it knowing its use you see how it was structured and made to fit the makers hand. In the one photo you can clearly see on the butt side big flake chunks where the knuckles would rest. The back side being all flat was meant for the palm area and the rough and semi flat side area for the fingers to grip. Take a look at your pictures and you can see it. Nice find!!!! Glad I took a second look.............................GTP

OP
OP
T

TretinIowa

May 23, 2011
Cedar Rapids
Get-the-point said:
TretinIowa said:
Get-the-point said:

Not a dumb question it is a logical reply to a question not fully explained. Yes that is exactly what it is ( a core flake that is). Now that I have had a second look at this, I noticed a couple of things about it that makes me believe that it is a Fleshing tool or Tanning knife. It is a nice one too by the way. After looking at it knowing its use you see how it was structured and made to fit the makers hand. In the one photo you can clearly see on the butt side big flake chunks where the knuckles would rest. The back side being all flat was meant for the palm area and the rough and semi flat side area for the fingers to grip. Take a look at your pictures and you can see it. Nice find!!!! Glad I took a second look.............................GTP

Thanks GTP you have been very helpful. Good artifact finding karma coming your way. :thumbsup:

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was this a river find

OP
OP
T

TretinIowa

May 23, 2011
Cedar Rapids
trevmma said:
was this a river find

It was not a river find but could have thrown it in the river from where it was found. So it very well may have spent some time in there and was carried up during the floods.

iowa trout

Dec 9, 2010
Exceptional piece T Iowa the finger/hand holds is awesome as explained by GTP I like it and it must have been a good ergonomically tool by its user.Thanks for posting have many like it but admire yours .Have you guessed left or right hand implement ? -Iowa trout

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread