Possible atlatl weight? Please help ID.

Flint-seeker

Oct 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
Dusty fields all over the place today. Stopped at 3 sites and this is the most interesting piece I could find. The top area appears finely sanded sound and the bottom has a slight groove on it.

atlatl1.png

atlatl2.png

What are your thoughts? Please watch the video, as well. It's tough to get detail in an image.

Thanks!

Shane

Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

I don't know what those atlati's are so I can't help you but that video is a great idea. It really helped in getting a better look at it. :thumbsup:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
With that cross section it looks like something. Do you see any pecking/grinding?

If it's been polished, I might lean towards the center section of an adze (where the bit and poll have been broken.)

OP
OP
Flint-seeker

Flint-seeker

Oct 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Ohio
joshuaream said:
With that cross section it looks like something. Do you see any pecking/grinding?

If it's been polished, I might lean towards the center section of an adze (where the bit and poll have been broken.)

Thank you all. I think the general consensus is that it's "possibly" a broken adze piece. There's no pecking or grinding evident, it's all smooth on top, slightly cruder on the edges and there's a minor groove on the bottom.

Guess it's time to get back in the fields and search, thanks everyone!

Shane

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread