Assistance Needed: OK, when was this Tomahawk "artifact" made?

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Assistance Needed: OK, when was this Tomahawk "artifact" made?

Could anyone give me a rough idea of when this Tomahawk/War Club/Hammer was made? :dontknow:

It's obviously not new, and I don't by any means think it is a relic - but could it possibly be a item made by a Native American in the 70's or something? I know there are Native Americans who currently make and sell these things, but they are way more fancy and new-looking than this one. If this thread needs to be banished to the knapping forum then I completely understand.

Any help is much appreciated.

tomahawk1.jpg

tomahawk2.jpg

tomahawk3.jpg

Upvote 0
F

Felinepeachy

Re: Assistance Needed: OK, when was this Tomahawk "artifact" made?

It can't be that old, I can barely make out, "Made in China"

:laughing9: Okay, just kidding. But the feathers, which are the first to get ruined on something like that are in too good of shape for it to be that old, IMO.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

I figured the feathers would have turned to dust by now if it was really old. I think they (Native Americans) switched to iron axe heads long enough ago for the rawhide this thing is wrapped in to disintegrate as well. I just wanted to see if it could be an item possibly made by a Native American in the 70's or 80's. It came from a pretty nice collection of other NA stuff so I don't think it was made in China. This guy didn't collect cheap stuff from China so far as I can tell. Another way you can tell it wasn't made by the Chicoms is that I have been using it for over 3 days and it has yet to break.

:laughing9:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Probably a tourist item and not very old. I'd say no older than 50 years tops.

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

OH NO! Not another tourist item! DELETE! DELETE! DELETE!

Thanks for the info.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.

is it possable that the head is a relic and somebody rehafted it to add spice to ther collection? Terry

OP
OP
hombre_de_plata_flaco

hombre_de_plata_flaco

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000

tmodel said:
is it possable that the head is a relic and somebody rehafted it to add spice to ther collection? Terry

I had thought of that as well, but I guess there is really no way to tell for sure. The former owner of this item is deceased and his widow has no clue as to the origins of this (or any other) NA items he had.

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010

I agree don't write it off too fast as being new made the stone head could very well be a original artifact that has been rehafted in more modern times.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread