OP
OP
B

badski78

Jan 16, 2007
Delaware Cty, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
I never thought about a fishing net weight because the creek is not that large. But lower in the field they could have dammed it up. We had a beaver do the exact thing a few years ago and it was quite a nice area for some time until they moved on. A Holy rock is also an interesting idea. I sent the picture to an Iroquois Indian Museum which is approx 60 miles North East of me. Have not heard back from them. Thanks for the ideas.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I just seen this post in what is it went to take a couple of shots & poof it was gone. :laughing7: Anyway wanted to ask you are you sure it is a rock??? Cause I find pottery shards like it all the time.Here's a couple to show what I mean.They were used to lift with.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 2,676
  • IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 5,019
OP
OP
B

badski78

Jan 16, 2007
Delaware Cty, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Apparently I did not have the post in the right spot. Thought I did?
Anyway - great shots and an interesting idea. I'll have to take a look at it again.

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
badski78 said:
Apparently I did not have the post in the right spot. Thought O did?
Anyway - great shots and an interesting idea. I'll have to take a look at it again.
Yea they would look like this. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• appendixa-57[1].jpg
    appendixa-57[1].jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 1,046

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
badski78 said:
I'd like to find that around the land. We have some caves along the ridge - but real small.
Yea I find alot of it here at some of my sites.Sometimes I pick it up sometimes I just leave it. :laughing7: (to much)
I do pick the pipe pieces out of it though. :headbang:
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:

Attachments

• IMG_1090[1].JPG
    IMG_1090[1].JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,107
  • IMG_1323[1][1].JPG
    IMG_1323[1][1].JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,039
  • IMG_1090[1].JPG
    IMG_1090[1].JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 1,018
  • IMG_1323[1][1].JPG
    IMG_1323[1][1].JPG
    112.8 KB · Views: 1,000

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
hello Badski78!! and welcome to Tnet from Tmodel!! on the eastern highland rim of tennessee. i found a mighty pretty [3&1/4 by 3/4 very thin hafted knife in one that might have keep 2 people dry in a stright down rain. if rain not blowing from right direction they would be wet. Time!! when you called that pottery i though no way hole big enought to lift by, then you showed proof and i understood they used cordage of some kind, i like the way you handled that. in your pottery photo on the left center edge of pile is that another piece of pottery with a handle hole or is it one of the 2 you posted. do not know where you been posting but welcome to AIA Tnet. Terry

High Plains Digger

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2008
The hole in question seems very perfect, maybe too perfect for Mother Nature to have done. If it is not a rock but a piece of pottery, then that makes it easy to make and make perfectly round. Makes all the sense in the world to me IF it is pottery.

OP
OP
B

badski78

Jan 16, 2007
Delaware Cty, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
tmodel - the pottery pics you were asking about were posted as a reply by timekiller.
Thanks for your comment on a small cave near you. I'll have to head up in the hill and look more closely, after I throw something in to make sure no bobcats are hanging out. This was my fist post relating to these items. I've been hanging around in the metal detecting area but mostly reading. I've been interested in local history and the Native Americans & early settlers who lived here before. After seeing many of the pics on this site - I've come to the conclusion, I need to hold onto more rocks that I find than I have in the past.

High Plains Digger - I agree it has to be
hand made. Interesting that is actually goes off at an angle. I've read some articles on how people would have 'drilled' holes like this.

I still think this is a rock I need to take a few more pics as the one edge opposite the hole is slightly beveled as compared to the rest of the edges. Not sure if that adds to any ideas. The beveled edge is not real sharp. Could just be nature of the rock itself.

Thanks to all on your ideas.

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
SRV said:
You got it right in your title, it is just a rock with a hole in it and nothing more.
I am with Steve on this one,the hole is not perfect from where I am sitting, it has none of the characteristic you would find on an ancient man made hole.you said you found it in a creek well thats what made the hole.mama nature is very crafty.The next time I go creekn I will bring back a few examples for you. :thumbsup:

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
i think i did not make my self clear, i did not mean a cave, i meant like a big leaning rock that overhung the floor by 2or3 foot, by about 5 or 6 foot wide no hole in it to form a cave, just rock slopping back under itself to the floor, you could see it all at a glance. no cave type rockshelter any where near. Terry

OP
OP
B

badski78

Jan 16, 2007
Delaware Cty, NY
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Somewhat like a lean-to. That's interesting. Never thought of that.
Like you said, just enough cover to keep the rain off or even keep a fire going.
Thanks.

NorCal Gal

Jan 15, 2011
Northern California
On the Marin County coast (not too far from us here in Sonoma County) there is a beach where -- many years ago on a day trip -- I kept finding rocks with nice, perfect, large holes in them and awesome, complete little nautilus and other shells all over the place. I made amulets and mobiles and things out of them for a long time. They'd been washed out of a sandstone cliff near the beach, were picked up by the surf, rolled around and cast back up on shore. And over the years -- with help and directions from locals and friends who knew about such things -- I found out the shells were fossils and these "holey stones" were actually the pieces of rock that had once surrounded the fossil shells in the sandstone cliff. Over time, the erosion of the waves and run-off water had caused the cliff, at various times, to slide down and, in so doing, the little shells had worked loose from the pieces of rock and the shells had fallen out leaving absolutely man-made-looking, perfect holes in the stones that washed up on the beach! This might have been how some (or any) of your "holey stones" came about, too... I'm just sayin'...

:hello: From Northern California!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread