Looking for any info on this point I found (UPDATE - the kid scores!)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Saturday, June 18, I took a female friend out so she could try and find an arrowhead (she has never found one). I normally don't spend much time looking for them, but do run across them from time to time while metal detecting in plowed fields. I took her to a field that I know has produced arrowheads, but I had never walked it personally, so I didn't know where the concentrations were. After about a half an hour of looking, I came across this bad boy. Emily was on the other side of the field, but I wanted to her to see one "insitu", so I marked the spot with my shirt and went across the field to get her. She couldn't believe her eyes when she saw it sitting there almost completely exposed from the rains. Around here (Westmoreland County, PA) the fields have been cultivated for a long time, and most of the larger points have been broken by farming operations. This is the largest one I have ever found. It is 3 1/8" long and 1 3/4" wide with no basal grinding that I can see. Can anyone ID it by type name and approximate age?

The first two pictures were taken in the field with my cell phone, the last two show both sides of the point with a symbolic "indian" head penny for size reference. It is almost perfect except for a small chip near one of the notches.

Attachments

• 0618111626.jpg
    0618111626.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 611
  • 0618111702.jpg
    0618111702.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 616
  • 6-18-11 001.jpg
    6-18-11 001.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 606
  • 6-18-11 002.jpg
    6-18-11 002.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 605
Upvote 0

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
Re: Looking for any info on this point I found

Really nice find there. It looks like a couple different types imo, it has Kirk / Lost Lake qualities. Early Archaic corner notched would be the safe answer. It also looks like a Meadowwood, but since they're side notched I'm leaning towards Kirk or Lost lake.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Th3rty7 said:
Really nice find there. It looks like a couple different types imo, it has Kirk / Lost Lake qualities. Early Archaic corner notched would be the safe answer. It also looks like a Meadowwood, but since they're side notched I'm leaning towards Kirk or Lost lake.

Thanks for the response. A local achaeologist said Kirk as well, but he said it should have some basal grinding, which I don't see any. Also, is it possible that the color can change? When I first found it, it was a slate grey as you can see by the pictures. Now it seems to be turning almost brownish. All did was wash it with soap and toothbrush.

rob.s

May 31, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other

Awesome find!!

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011

I think its a bit too large to be an arrowhead. Its probably a knife or an atlatl point. It is a great find.

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania

I would say it is an Early Archaic piece - at least 7000 years old. It could well be a Kirk - not all Kirks have basal grinding, from the literature I have read.

artorius

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA

Posted this last week when I found it, but since we're in neighboring counties here in PA, I figured I'd post it for reference. The consensus was this is a kirk...but had been sharpened down. No basal grinding on it either.

Attachments

• Point 2 6-11-11.jpg
    Point 2 6-11-11.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 486
  • Point 2 6-11-11.jpg
    Point 2 6-11-11.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 484
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hutch in PA said:
Posted this last week when I found it, but since we're in neighboring counties here in PA, I figured I'd post it for reference. The consensus was this is a kirk...but had been sharpened down. No basal grinding on it either.

That one looks like nice material, is it Jasper? When I do look for points, it's either in Wesmoreland or Washington counties. I live in Allegheny, but I'm from Ligonier, where I found this one.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

artorius said:
I would say it is an Early Archaic piece - at least 7000 years old. It could well be a Kirk - not all Kirks have basal grinding, from the literature I have read.

artorius

Thanks for your thoughts on this piece Artorious!

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's a Kirk point!!!........Nice find..............the sheen you saw when you washed it is always a deeper color of the stone. When it fully dries though it will show the patina on the surface. If that point had a fresh chip you would see the true color of the stone or the same color it showed when it was wet..............................GTP

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice find

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio

Steve,

I have a slightly different feeling on your fantastic find. I feel very good calling it a Meadowood as Thirty stated in his post. I have seen Meadowood's that are not completely side notched, and everything else about the form says "Meadowood". If you need pictures or info on the type, let me know.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

Wampum

Jun 13, 2011
Tioga County PA.
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Very nice! Atlatyl point my thought exactly. It is quite large to be an arrowhead I think. But then again I am used to the little 1" Levanna points.

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250

Steve in PA said:
Also, is it possible that the color can change? When I first found it, it was a slate grey as you can see by the pictures. Now it seems to be turning almost brownish. All did was wash it with soap and toothbrush.

I've had quite a few points 'change' color after a day or two. Great find there.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

pointdlr said:
Steve,

I have a slightly different feeling on your fantastic find. I feel very good calling it a Meadowood as Thirty stated in his post. I have seen Meadowood's that are not completely side notched, and everything else about the form says "Meadowood". If you need pictures or info on the type, let me know.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.
Thanks Jon, I will look into the Meadowood type.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I mentioned in my original post, I took a female friend out in a field so she could try and find an "arrowhead". But she also was hoping that her 10 year old son Miles might find one someday. I told her that if she takes him in this field, and he is patient and looks hard, he WILL find one. Late this afternoon I get the phone call from her phone, and it's Miles. He found his first point and he was so excited. Here is a pic of a young mans first indian artifact. Hopefully, he has the passion now :thumbsup:

Attachments

• Miles point.jpg
    Miles point.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 211

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions