Thinking About Starting A Collection Of PointS From Each State

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
Thinking About Starting A Collection Of Point'S From Each State

I am thinking of trying broaden my collection by starting a collection of points from each state. I have a lot from Texas of coarse, some from Oklahoma, Missouri, North Dakota for a start. I am not trying to find the high $$$ rare point's. I am just looking for a good example of a common found point from each state. What is a good way to start ?

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Thinking About Starting A Collection Of Point'S From Each State

I have been attempting to do this for around 2 years and now have 39 states with the promise of 3 more coming soon. I figure Hawaii will be about impossible to get so if I get 49 I will be happy. I got most of my states through trade or by buying a few. I also got quite a few by people just donating examples to me and some sent as many as a 100 Points and Tools. You just have to not be shy and ask people you come across on boards like this from the states you need. I would usually ask 3 or 4 people from each state and at least one or two of them would be willing to send me something.

What state are you from? I could hook you up with Ohio and Kentucky and maybe we could do a trade.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->

In the pre-internet days I think this would have been next to impossible unless you were willing to travel thousands of miles. It's quite attainable imo with all the artifact sites and ebay and auctions, etc. If you're willing to spend some money you could knock out all 50 states in a few weeks. I've put together 46 out of 50 states, I like to at least acquire 2 or 3 good examples per state. One of these days I'll put them all together in a giant frame.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I intend to do the same thing Ryan. As soon as I get 49 states I am going to get a large frame and put in one point that is diagnostic of it's state and put it in the tray in alphabetical order. I'll leave a spot for Hawaii unless I have one by then.

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains

Th3rty7 said:
It's quite attainable imo with all the artifact sites and ebay and auctions, etc.

If possible i would try to obtain personally found artifacts from other hunters from their state.

There are many authentic artifacts on ebay, but with ridiculous proveniences.

11KBP

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

11KBP said:
Th3rty7 said:
It's quite attainable imo with all the artifact sites and ebay and auctions, etc.

If possible i would try to obtain personally found artifacts from other hunters from their state.

There are many authentic artifacts on ebay, but with ridiculous proveniences.

11KBP

That's what I have done so far. I haven't bought the first piece off Ebay, but I have bought a few from individuals who found the piece or pieces.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

I'm not a collector or knowledgeable about flints/artifacts . There have been many found over the years on my farm and surrounding ones .
What I have found interesting is that flint is not indigenous to my immediate area . Wonder if identifying flints found in various areas could help establish ancient trade routes .

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008

truckinbutch said:
I'm not a collector or knowledgeable about flints/artifacts . There have been many found over the years on my farm and surrounding ones .
What I have found interesting is that flint is not indigenous to my immediate area . Wonder if identifying flints found in various areas could help establish ancient trade routes .
some of the best obsidian points I've seen came off a place where there is no obsidian here in tx......I think the trade route idea is a good one....it would take a buch of research tho.....goat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread