• pic resized 1.jpg
    pic resized 1.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 578
  • pic resized 2.jpg
    pic resized 2.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 584
J

JoshnMO

No info on these? ??? If bought they could be modern and made almost anywhere. Some may swear up and down the marbles are native american theres more history of them being settlers childrens toys though. They look nice whatever they are thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Southie E.J.

Southie E.J.

May 16, 2011
South Boston Ma
Detector(s) used
WHITES COINMASTER, MINELABS 705, and ETRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a kid digging I use to find these marbles alot, and it was always where I would find burried mullusk shells so I figured since the indians burried their shells and I would find these marbles in these type of areas I would think they are indian. At the time ( as a kid ) I had no thoughts on what they were. I just remembered seeing it that way.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Marbles were brought over by the early settlers and most of them were made in Germany and France. The Indians may have acquired some through trade, but they didn't make them.

As for the Pottery, I really have no idea. It may be Indian and it may be early settler.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
need location found if you know where they were found or did you buy them. is that a hole in that marble or whatever it is , first photo. also need something in photo to size artifact by, ruler or US coin will do nicely. Terry

OP
OP
Southie E.J.

Southie E.J.

May 16, 2011
South Boston Ma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tmodel said:
need location found if you know where they were found or did you buy them. is that a hole in that marble or whatever it is , first photo. also need something in photo to size artifact by, ruler or US coin will do nicely. Terry

Found in the mud at lowtide in Quincy Ma. The hole appears to be like an air bubble when made or corroded that way. One is the size of a grapefruit cut i half the other the size of an orange cut in half. I hope that helps. Thank you.

OP
OP
Southie E.J.

Southie E.J.

May 16, 2011
South Boston Ma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any ideas anyone? Is there any place I could contact on these pieces?

OP
OP
Southie E.J.

Southie E.J.

May 16, 2011
South Boston Ma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joshuaream said:
It looks like an 18th or 19th century crucible. I don't think it's Native American pottery.

Thank you so much! I looked up pictures of old pottery crucibles, and found the same piece! It was the 1st site on google then page 2 on that site of pics if you want to check it out. They dont say anything about them but they appear to be indian. I have to try and look around some more.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Southie E.J. said:
Thank you so much! I looked up pictures of old pottery crucibles, and found the same piece! It was the 1st site on google then page 2 on that site of pics if you want to check it out. They dont say anything about them but they appear to be indian. I have to try and look around some more.

No problem. Some historic groups would have used them for casting lead bullets and inlays for pipes, etc., so if you found them in the right context they could very well be historic Native American.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread