Hello to all and a question about public lands

dlos

Jul 12, 2011
Hi everyone,

I just recently stumbled across this board a couple weeks ago. I post on other artifact boards and it was a surprise to find this one and its high activity level and artifact quality! I have seen some very impressive finds and collections here!

I'm in central NC and have been collecting for about 8 years now mainly hunting fields, construction sites and creeks - when possible.

My question for anyone who may know is, what rules/laws exist on the intracoastal waterway and NC sounds? I'll be out vacationing on the northern Outer Banks - Duck/Corolla areas and will be taking a kayak this year. I plan to kayak both the soundfront shorelines on the ocean side as well as back to the west on the mainland sides -mainly for recreational purposes but, hey, who can resist a sandy beach when you see one??!

So, are there laws preventing one from picking up surface-found artifacts from these areas? As far as I can tell, the places I will be are NOT classified as "National Seashore", State Parks or National Parks. I'm sure there will be houses or farmland right on some of the shoreline - what's the deal with these areas? Do the landowners also "own" the beach on the sound, if there is one?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread