gorget and paleo heartbreakers, i think

trevmma

Bronze Member
May 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
whites 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just some eye candy before i show my heartbreakers. well as far as i know these are all paleos, all same field. what is the complete point, is it paleo it has small little flutes but i have no clue. oh and one of my later finds, that is worked around a impact fracture on one side
IMG_1964.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1970.jpg

Upvote 0

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
That gorget is awesome Trev! Makes you wonder why they started drilling that 3rd hole and for really no apparent reason that I can see from here!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ohioaxeman said:
That gorget is awesome Trev! Makes you wonder why they started drilling that 3rd hole and for really no apparent reason that I can see from here!

Since it was drilled from both sides so that the hole from each side would meet in the middle what probably happened was he started the hole there and then realized it wasn't lined up with the other side so he moved it over a hair and continued drilling to complete the hole.

Killer pieces Trev. That Gorget is sweet and the Paleo pieces are very nice examples, even damaged.

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
SRV said:
ohioaxeman said:

Since it was drilled from both sides so that the hole from each side would meet in the middle what probably happened was he started the hole there and then realized it wasn't lined up with the other side so he moved it over a hair and continued drilling to complete the hole.

Killer pieces Trev. That Gorget is sweet and the Paleo pieces are very nice examples, even damaged.
That sounds logical Steve! :icon_thumleft:

M

mickey

it is possible that he (or she) missed the hole, but i have seen more than one gorget or pendant with similar drilling. i saw a piece that was found not far from my home that had five small drilling impressions. this would would indicate that he was 1) drunk 2) needed glasses or 3) intentionally drilled as some sort of decoration similar to engraved lines. happy hunting. brian.

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
If you measure from the ends to each hole they are almost the same to the center of the holes. The unfinished hole does not fit the measurement. Makes one think that the maker had a sense of balance or someone else pointed it out to him and he moved the hole over. Great piece.

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio
mickey said:
it is possible that he (or she) missed the hole, but i have seen more than one gorget or pendant with similar drilling. i saw a piece that was found not far from my home that had five small drilling impressions. this would would indicate that he was 1) drunk 2) needed glasses or 3) intentionally drilled as some sort of decoration similar to engraved lines. happy hunting. brian.
Sounds MORE logical... :icon_thumleft:

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Rege!! i agree compely with you, and we will never know why they moved it, eather way you said could be right , one queston we can not get the answer to. Terry

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions