• 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 458
Upvote 0

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Nice! I got a half acre like that in Cape cty. so far at last count had 288 pieces and have filled a ice cream pale since I last counted all off the same little hill. Found a hoe and couple brokes there yesterday. Keep lookin and hope ya match some up.

OP
OP
JUNKYARD DOG

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
Thanks guys on the reply's, Larson I really don't know what a midden is
but there is 3 different high spots on this 20 acres in which I have found quite a bit
but this spot by far has the most finds. I have found a real nice etly and a few more that
I put in a frame plus a large bag of chips and flakes and a couple of hematite artifacts.
I would like to ask the farmer if I can rent the arce or two in the corner of the field with this hump.
Then I would like to start digging and sifting. I hardly see the guy he is always working, he's a real nice guy
so maybe he will let me. He farms about 400 acres and has cattle and raises poultry for cargill. Thanks again
and good luck to all. wes...

Krisrock

Feb 9, 2011
Land of Good Water
Wow ! Way to go JYD. With regard to the midden question in the previous replies. I'm, not sure but here in TX, midden is easily identifiable by the cooking rocks. Square broken rock piled up to cook with or create a foundation for living. We find it in layers here. Shell, rock, bone, ash and of course flint. Camps here consist of several areas not unlike a town. There were spots to cook, process game, put your T.P. up, beat out rocks, you name it. I'm not sure if camps were the same there ? I hope I didn't add too much confusion to the midden question? Without a doubt the place your finding this quality on the surface, there will be many whole uncovered treasures beneath. Good Luck ! Kris

OP
OP
JUNKYARD DOG

JUNKYARD DOG

Feb 29, 2008
Mid Mo
Detector(s) used
DFX, COMPASS SCANNER,
Thanks Kris, I think I got the idea like an outdoor kithchen and work area
I was thinking it was the trash pit of sorts like what I see in alot of larson1951
has in his photos, alot of bone and broken pottery. In which I dont have
alot of (bone and pottery) come up in this area, also I was told that they
did alot of dozing and terraced alot of the field, and I still plan on asking
my friend to let me do some digging. One thing I do see alot of is big stones
and some do look like they were burnt before. Also found a eagle and shield cuff
button and a few other metal objects along with broken bottles and glass and china,
so it could of been a civil war camp at one time also. so once the heat done cooking
us Im taking my detector up there fo awhile.... Thanks again. wes

naturegirl

Bronze Member
Mar 21, 2009
Thanks for showing all those Wes, you find the most colorful stuff up there. I hope you do get to dig! Cival war, and flint, can't get better, huh?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread