Need Help with Arrowhead ID

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Here are some examples of an arrowhead type that I'm trying to ID and age. All come from the Puget Sound beach area of Washington State. The books I have cover the USA, but all neglect Washington's coastal areas (?)

The one on the left is black obsidian, which must have been brought in, as there is no local material; the middle one is (carnelian) agate, and the one of the right is basalt. With my limited knowledge , they all have what appear to be 'contracting stems'.

Thanks, Rich.

Attachments

• DSCF0022.JPG
    DSCF0022.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,350
  • DSCF0025.JPG
    DSCF0025.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 696
  • DSCF0022.JPG
    DSCF0022.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 688
  • DSCF0025.JPG
    DSCF0025.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 629
Upvote 0

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm on the way up to Fort Warden. would love to find one like that up there. use to find carnelian down in Centralia area, but never any that clear.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
at first look i though they were morrow mountain a tennessee point, then i looked at your state and they look like a variant of what is called a rabbit island AKA pismo, on projectile points .com. Terry

OP
OP
scepter1

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Thanks Terry. I didn't find it with the .com name, so I googled 'projectpoints' and found it at --> http://www.projectilepoints.net

That site helps a lot ! I also have found some other types of points on Puget Sound beaches - so far, they all appear to be variants of types defined on that site, with 'triangles' being the most common .

Rich.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Yes, those types would be called "rabbit island". They are very nice examples. The lithic material of the PNW is some of the most varied and beautiful around. Since you found them on the Puget Sound the obsidian source is most likely the San Juan Islands, time was when those beaches were ripe with obsidian points. The carnelian one is very nice...I am assuming a bit shy of one inch? Notice how smooth the surfaces are....long time being washed on the beach, can't fake that.

wheelerite

Feb 2, 2008
canby,oregon
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter
The obsidian ones were probably traded with the central wash Indians. you can find obsidian arrow heads on the coast also. Most of the obsidian matches the obsidian from eastern oregon.
ksmith

OP
OP
scepter1

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Most points here seem to be around 1", with these examples being a bit larger than what I've been finding.

The black obsidian one is 1 1/8", the carnelian is 1 3/8", and the basalt one is 1 1/4".

Rich.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread