Another Clovis!

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Hey all,
This is a Clovis point that I bought yesterday and it has been in some well known collections and pictured in Who's Who #10 page 158. It has been in the Lonnie Hartline coll., Ken partain, and John Hedgecock. It measures right at 2 and 5/8" long and made from classic Burlington. Recoverd in St. Louis Co., MO. Thanks for looking and HH.
badandy

Attachments

• Clovis #3.JPG
    Clovis #3.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 535
  • Clovis #3b.JPG
    Clovis #3b.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 552
  • Clovis #3 t.JPG
    Clovis #3 t.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 529
Upvote 0
A

Atlantis0077

Howdy Andy.....

Another great point.....don't know what makes me most jealous.....the points you are getting or the pocketbook it takes to acquire them.....at any rate keep the photos coming. They are very nice specimens. Glad you are able to give them a wonderful, hopefully permanent home!

Happy hunting,

Atlantis ;)

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
I'm so jelous I could cry :P Nice point- nice having the history too... you trying to make the cover of the who's who or what? ;D

OP
OP
badandy

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
That's funny Cannonman! Thank you for the compliment, but I'm no where near that point. Thanks to you as well Dig'em. I've got two more lined up too buy soon from an old local collector. One I think might be a Clovis and I'm pretty sure that the other is a Plainview, with nice tanic acid stain. I'll be sure to post'em when I get them if everyone wants to see'em.
badandy

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Nice piece Andy, do you have any closer pics of it? Also, have you totally ruled out possiblity of a Sloan?

OP
OP
badandy

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Thanks Mike! i don't have any closer pics., but I'm pretty sure it's not a sloan. The flaking dosn't look like sloan flaking and it is fluted on both sides, instead of basel thinning strikes. Greg Perino and Ken Partain both say Clovis as well. Thanks for the reply and question, really make you think about this stuff!
badandy

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Andy, I don't mean to question your point..I just seem to think out loud sometimes..lol. I knew Perino and miss him greatly. We lost two good people last year that were pretty much pioneers in point identifaction: Gregory Perino & Robert Bell. I didn't always agree with Greg and we would have discussions on point I.D. often.
The flaking was what made Sloan pop into my head. The flaking appears to be tight parallel pressure flakes, which you really don't see on Clovis. Clovis is the #1 most mis-identified type that there is. I personally don't consider alot of the "later" points that they tend to call Clovis, actually early clovis technology (like Barnes and several others). They exhibit more folsomoid traits than Clovis. A few early Clovis traits seem to be:

1. They are most often random flaked (in early form) with only the deltas being trimmed by pressure. Resharpening usually starts with the top 1/3rd of the blade, and the pressure sharpening rarely leads to the center of the blade until very late stage.

2. Clovis rarely, if ever, have a sharp tip. They are generally rounded or chisel tipped. The chisel and "round" tip prolongs the effectiveness of the tip, and actually cuts better.

3. The flute is the last thing performed on early Clovis. You won't see "retouching" on the base after the fluting process on a Clovis, but will with folsomoid technology. The Clovis are also fluted much differently. Folsom practices "Dome and Plane" to remove the flutes.

...oops.hafta stop. Suppers done!

OP
OP
badandy

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
I see you have done your share of homework. LOL! The flaking is more random flaking than anything, and I was in no way offended by your reply bud. Actually Greg's high school home is about 2 min. from my house. I had a pic. of it, but must of erased it. I agree with you on the dif. types of Clovis points and dif. names. Like late Clovis and Early Clovis, Hazel, and Barnes. Good to have you on the board and to chat with. your last name wouldn't be Rowe by any chance would it. Talk to you soon.
badandy

oberkill

Aug 12, 2005
Thats another really nice point Andy! Will you be at the artifact show in St. Charles in Oct?

Alan

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Northeast Oklahoma. Will be having a show here (Pryor, OK) on October 14th of this year. Had one in April of this year and it was great, quite a turnout.

OP
OP
badandy

badandy

Aug 31, 2005
Collinsville, IL.
Wish I could make it down, but I have a show in Mo. to go too that month. Hope your shows goes well again and I'll be looking for pics. By the way why haven't you posted some of your stuff yet? I know you find some great stuff out there.
badandy

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I'm kind of lazy when it comes to taking pics of points..lol. I will see if I can't remember to take some pics for you before long though.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andy,

Beautiful!!!