Found Artifact in SC, What is IT?

nickandanna

Greenie
Aug 6, 2011
We need help in identifying what we found on a recent trip to Hilton Head Island, SC. We were on a remote beach and dug this little statue up without a metal detector in wet sand, we have an open topic about this in the "What is It" section, but were forwarded here in hopes of finding out the origins of this statue. If you need more pics, check out the topic: "What have we found? An old statue?" in the "What is It?" forum section.
Thank you,
Nick and Anna

Attachments

• statue.jpg
    statue.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 522
  • statue.jpg
    statue.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 526
Upvote 0

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
Wow! I can't help you with what it is but it would have made my day/month/year if I had found it. Thanks for sharing.

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
I sent your posting to one of the best Archaeologists in the southeast. He is based in SC so he has a ton of experience with this type of thing, here is his reply:
"Thanks for sending these. About the little clay figure. Voo Doo was, and still is, a big deal in that area of the SC coast. I knew Sheriff McTeer, the "White Witch Doctor" before he died. He told me how he would remove spells that had been put on persons. The use of such dolls and tokens were common. I suspect this one is of black origin and had something to do with their belief systems. The point is not moss agate, but thermally altered coastal plain chert from the Flint River formation. It has been stained to its present color because of being in the marshes where the pluff mud and other stuff caused it to change from its natural color.
Tom"
Anyway I hope that helps in solving your mystery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions