Does Anyone Collect Any Other Type Of Artifacts Besides Points

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
Does Anyone Collect Any Other Type Of Artifact's Beside's Point's

I was wondering if any of you on the forum have any sub-collection's of artifacts beside's point's. I have collected points for yrs. But I also collect stone tool's and have a seperate collection of scraper's and other stone blade's. I remember one spot where I used to hunt there were other people that hunted there all the time, sort of a public hunting area that a good many knew about. and you could find all the tools you wanted but couldn't find any points. I ran into a fellow that I knew there, and we started talking and he told me that he hunted there with several friends and they just hunted points and were not interested in tools, so when they found any they just left them laying there. That was why I found so many tool's, and scrapers at this one spot. So that was why I started an seperate collection for scrapers and tool's.

Upvote 0

Krisrock

Feb 9, 2011
Land of Good Water
Re: Does Anyone Collect Any Other Type Of Artifact's Beside's Point's

If it's a whole tool and I find it and it can be carried home from land I have permission to hunt on ... It's going home with me :laughing7: Some tools I found when I first started collecting I don't learn the true use or I.D. until years later. I have a friend I hunt with often that had been throwing back tools for years too. (before we hunted together) He took a hand held Metate (he was gonna throw back) to the Temple Show with me a couple of months back... He traded his metate for a nice spear point. He's still a point / blade man, but he don't throw tools back no more :icon_pirat: I put Bad a__ drills and nice blades with my whole points in the same frame, whole neat tools go in the tool box and manos and smashin rocks busted worked flint go in the midden pile in my garden. Nothing get's left behind. ( Despite what the warden say's ) You never can have too many early American artifacts. :thumbsup:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I collect Indian Artifacts, so that means anything that was utilized by the Indians. I have Points, Scrapers, Drills, Stone Tools, Beads, Pipes, Bone Tools, Flake Knives, Blades, Bannerstones, Pendants, Gorgets, etc.

BJS in Iowa

Jun 21, 2011
Iowa

Me to SRV. I'm not picky. I'll take anything home. I don't find enouogh to leave anything behind. Besides, I find them all extremely intriguing.

ohioaxeman

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2007
sandusky, ohio

I just dont see how anyone can leave ANYTHING behind. Even the mystery items! On a good day I tend to leave the occasional hammerstones and heavy whatsits, but I set them next to the fence or by a post or tree on the edge of the field so I know where to locate it if i want to retrieve it! ;D

OP
OP
F

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010

I never have left anthing behind, because I never did find enough at one time to leave anything. I even try to pick up all the big chips or flakes I see that way I don't end up having to stop to look at them the next time.

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA

If it was used--or I suspect it was used--definitely going home! In fact, I love tools as much as anything. They make great study pieces. I'm no expert, but I would especially encourage newbies to take home anything worked. I no-longer pick up obvious flakes, but I used to. I learned as much from the debatage as I did the 'artifacts'.

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania

I collect any recognizable artifact (or fragment of an artifact). On fields I collect regularly, I also pick up the flint and other stone chips, as they tll a story about the lithics used in the area.

One of the nicest pieces I found this spring was a turtleback scraper of high quality quartz. It is a beautifully made uniface tool, of classic turtleback form. I regard that find as the equivalent of a nice point.

artorius

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong

I'll collect anything that is old from anywhere in the world if it catches my eye. That said, there is a lot of stuff that I pick up, look at and put back down... My general rule is that if I plan on putting it in a bucket/box in the garage and never looking at it again, then I don't need to bring it home.

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I know what you guys mean. I've always finding the strangest stuff on digs and walking. But the strange thing is on a dig or walk a few hundred miles away, I'll find similiar stone forms.
I've grown fond of the little disks. I bet I've gotten twenty or so the past 30 years, from all parts of Texas. Thanks Lone Star

Attachments

• 100_7868.jpg
    100_7868.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 473
  • 100_7869.jpg
    100_7869.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 477
  • 100_7870.jpg
    100_7870.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 478

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other

ok tommy
lets have a look
i have never found a pestle
steve

lostlake88

Dec 2, 2007
The Queen City
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II

I have always liked pestles for some reason. Most are cheap, but not all. I have only found two broken ones an two whole ones. I have found many more axes than I have pestles, they are quite rare I believe.

Attachments

• IMG_0775_1.jpg
    IMG_0775_1.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 339

wtgwayne

Oct 30, 2009

Here are some of the things that i have found.

Attachments

• DSC00091.JPG
    DSC00091.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 268
  • DSC00090.JPG
    DSC00090.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 264
  • DSC00086.JPG
    DSC00086.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 270
  • DSC00086.JPG
    DSC00086.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC00091.JPG
    DSC00091.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 269
  • DSC00090.JPG
    DSC00090.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 268

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola

If its been worked and i can tote it its coming home. This spring i found a huge celt maybe 8-10lbs, I had just got to my field so I put it beside the only tree in field planning to pick it up on my way out but after about 3hrs I forgot about it and left. Remembered it half way home being the only person with permission figured it was ok and would get it in a day or so. No such luck it was gone! I know its off topic a little but a few weeks later in another field down the road from there a guy and girl stop and start talking about artifacts he brings out a broken axe thats a perfect fit to one I had found and then shows me a beautiful celt maybe 8-10lbs! I asked where he had found then and he said the river! No stain at all and axe was clearly plow damage, as nice as i could I told him unless he has permission to stay the heck out of my fields! He got pissed and left. I know without a doubt those pieces came out of my field. To make a long story short I now take my hydration pack it has a decent sized compartment for bigger finds.

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes, I do like most of the others - "any" Indian artifact. I have gotten somewhat spoiled by the quality of the pieces I've been finding, so for me it does have to be a fairly complete or very unusual piece. I leave things now that I would have taken before.

Lone Star

Jan 6, 2010
North of the Balcones Escarpment
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's a mighty fine mano and metate'. I've been looking for almost 25 years specificly for a good morter that was totaly identifiable and complete. Thanks for showing. Lone Star

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread