Info on Arrowhead would be appreciated!

Ryan6060

Nov 28, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Any info on this arrowhead- type, age, value would be greatly appreciated. I got this from a friend of my dads, who found it many years ago. He could not remember where it was found, as he has lived all over and has a pretty large collection. He sold of it a few years ago and I think a lot of the better items were purchased!

I am most interested in finding out how old it is.

Thanks!

Attachments

• arrowhead.jpg
    arrowhead.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 720
  • arrowhead2.jpg
    arrowhead2.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 716
Upvote 0

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
Late prehistoric,it looks to be a pentagonal type they call them jacks reef or pee-dee points depending on region.Im sure others will know more about it as they will chime in as well.

OP
OP
Ryan6060

Ryan6060

Nov 28, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks for the replies! I picked it out because on one side it looked like it had a flute in it. I think the second pic does a good job of showing it. I know literally nothing about arrowheads though but I thought it was possibly an old one! Looking forward to more opinions on it :)

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
You may be right SRV as it does resemble a "mule ear" point...is the base ground on it?

OP
OP
Ryan6060

Ryan6060

Nov 28, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
I'm not really sure what to look for to determine if the base is ground or not. I have attached a few add'l photos to help out.

So if it is a mule ear point and 6-8 BP- does that mean 6-8 thousand years old?

Thanks again for the feedback all! Looking forward to more opinions and a more definitive ID.

Attachments

• arrowhead3.jpg
    arrowhead3.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 607
  • arrowhead4.jpg
    arrowhead4.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 610

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
Rub your thumb gently on the very edge of the entire base ,if it is much smoother than the blade edges and not as sharp ,then more than likely it is ground.Hope this helps :wink:

OP
OP
Ryan6060

Ryan6060

Nov 28, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
WV sifter said:
Rub your thumb gently on the very edge of the entire base ,if it is much smoother than the blade edges and not as sharp ,then more than likely it is ground.Hope this helps :wink:

The base is definitely not as sharp as the blade edges- seems kind of rounded off a bit. Any other opinions on the type and age of this one?

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Resharpened Levanna Triangle....made out of PA Jasper. You can find that type of Jasper in Macungie where they quarried jasper. It is near Allentown, Pa. It was probably found next to the Susquehanna as I have seen many examples come from there. The fluting is a basal thinning...........Hope this helps..............GTP

OP
OP
Ryan6060

Ryan6060

Nov 28, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
It looks like it could be a Levanna Triangle! Also looks just like a pic of a Mule Ear point I found. Is there any way to tell which one it might be?

Amazing that cultures seperated by thousands of years used such similar tools.

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
If the base is rounded a bit(ground) its earlier than a levanna you would think :dontknow:,hard to type for sure but im going with a mule ear,as ive never seen a pentagonal levanna.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I'm siding with GTP here. I lived in Allentown for 5 years, have picked up a lot of Jasper from the Vera Cruz jasper pits just south of Allentown and it does look like that material to me. Obviously we're all just guessing but I think it's a northeastern point.

Th3rty7

Silver Member
Jan 24, 2009
»»--------->
I'd have to agree with Pa. jasper and the flaking looks woodland imo. The shoulders on that point are what keep me second guessing about type. I've got a similar point, jasper from Pa, the base is very similar. Without knowing the area it came from though it's a tough call.

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Got plenty of it here. PA jasper. Looks to be a susquehanna tri or a levanna. Im leanin towards susky though.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
GTP!! i have to agree with you, a levanna triangle, that i think was used as a knife and resharpend while halfted in handel. that would give it a pee dee or mule ear look. Terry

OP
OP
Ryan6060

Ryan6060

Nov 28, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Thanks again for all the replies! I am happy to have it, whatever the type- but when I picked it out, I hoped it would turn out to be a pretty old one!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread