Advice on Authenticity

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
I need some advice on authenticating some artifacts I recently received from a deceased relative. He was an avid collector from Richmond, Ohio and had an extensive collection. I know that he personally found many of his pieces, but he also purchased many at auction. Unfortunately, he mixed them together or they were mixed together after his passing. I am no expert, but I can tell that some are reworked, repaired or are reproductions. Some have the tell-tail copper tool marks. I will separate the ones I know are authentic and the ones I know are not. How would I get the rest authenticated at a reasonable cost. I have several thousand pieces, including axes, arrow and spear points, ceremonial pieces, bird stones, banner stones, and many other tools. I have no desire to sell any pieces, but I would like to know which are authentic artifacts and which are simply nice to look at. Thank you,

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
It's probably not worth it get them authenticated, even you bargained it down to $5 a piece to verbally identify pieces, it could still add up to lots of money. Plus you have to ship them or pay the Authenticator to come to you.

I'd try to find a local collector and have him come and look them over. Then you could decide to paper any higher valued pieces just to be sure.

Or post up a bunch of pictures, several of us could probably give you a good idea what you might need to have looked at more closely.

OP
OP
oxbowbarefoot

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Several of the pieces came with a COA from Lakeview Artifacts and were signed by Thomas Malthus. I have found artifacts for sale online with COA's from the same individual. However, I cannot find any evidence to support that that person is real or any evidence to suggest that there is a business known as Lakeview Artifacts in Greenfield, Ohio. I'll post some pictures tomorrow of a few pieces and the COA's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread