Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Jul 9, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
You know, your right. its not my place to ask those questions, and that was out of line. I apologize. I have a hard time when it comes to whether or not one should collect artifacts. There is such a dicotomy between archaeologists and collectors, and I guess I'm right in the middle. I'm going to school for archaeology, but I enjoy metal detecting, and I understand both sides arguments. But i havent decided which one i subscribe to yet.

That must have been an exciting moment manchu, congrats.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Very nice arrowhead! Find of a lifetime!

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
westerntreasurehunter said:
You know, your right. its not my place to ask those questions, and that was out of line. I apologize. I have a hard time when it comes to whether or not one should collect artifacts. There is such a dicotomy between archaeologists and collectors, and I guess I'm right in the middle. I'm going to school for archaeology, but I enjoy metal detecting, and I understand both sides arguments. But i havent decided which one i subscribe to yet.

That must have been an exciting moment manchu, congrats.

Very intelligently put Western. The problem with Archaeology vs. treasure hunters/collectors is that Archy's want to dig and preserve in a museum. Collector and treasure hunters want to put it in there collections or sell them. The catch, Archy's "dig", test, and carbon date to reference, then place said artifacts into a museum to be shelved or displayed. Museums choice. Most collectors out there surface hunt and although some collectors dig for there artifacts they are still preserving them for future generations to see and possibly hold. I do not condone digging and i'm sorry to the fellow collector's who do but i do feel that those items are still Archaeologically important, as they are in as left condition still capable of carbon dating and presenting a historical record of that site. When you dig a fresh site you have taken a piece of history away from the books. When they hit the surface they serve no archaeological significance other then location. The worst tragedy is the laws preventing surface hunting in areas under constant erosion ie; rivers, lakes and washouts. These artifacts will surely be lost possibly forever if they are washed into the water. Our job as collectors is to preserve history for future generations to see, regardless how it was found or purchased or whose collection it ends up in. The very fact that the artifact is in the hands of another insures the preservation of that history unless they throw it away, which i highly doubt would ever happen...................................GTP

OP
OP
MANCHU

MANCHU

May 29, 2009
West Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
05kas05 said:
man that is one sweet point i wish i could find something like that someday. congrats
Thanks 05K !!! I hope you do . I'm working on my 2nd one !!! LOL!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread