Heres the hematite.

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa
Here's the hematite.

You are going to think I'am really crazy now! Well, I am a little crazy but I would never fabricate a story or a artfact. This stuff all came from
a small area and is just as found. The blade is on the top of the lower left one and on the left side of the others. The pendent ? in the middle
and the bottom two axes ? appear to be profiles. Very strange!

PDR_0913.jpg

PDR_0910.jpg

PDR_0912.jpg

PDR_0911.jpg

Upvote 0

Cannonman17

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Wisconsin
Re: Here's the hematite.

Ahh... nope, those are just rocks. I'm starting to think that you're just pulling our legs here... ???

OP
OP
bean man

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa

Well, they might be just rocks but really I'am not pulling your leg. I just think so much of this stuff in one area is strange and it is a major indian area.
For now I guess I call them what a buddy called them BEANOFACTS
BM

A

Atlantis0077

Yep rocks,

Beanman, just because you find lots of raw materials in a spot doesn't mean they were ever used. Here we have areas that are more or less gravel pits....tons of chert. I look them over religiously, or did....I find though there are some chipped stones among the lot, that rarely....VERY rarely do I ever find a point, scraper or tool in a gravel pit. Some looks promising, but normally upon close inspection the breaks or chips are natural...not man made.

The Indians apparently took the raw materials they wanted and went elsewhere to work them out. Same with hematite, slate and other such rocks that form in layers and wash up. Your ravine is a geologic curiosity and there are apparently lots of raw materials there....whether the Indians actually worked any of them is still up for debate.

Also here in the lake we find fire pits....circular areas of burned clay and stone.....oh man they look good dotted along the lake bed....you just know you are going to find tons of stuff around them and in them and the burned materials do exhibit just enough 'characteristics' to make you think some of them might be artifacts....however, I rarely ever...if EVER find any points are artifacts in or near these fire pits.....I cant explain that....but its a fact.

Hematite tools I have found are rare, because we don't have much of that material here, but when you do find them they are normally highly polished and well shaped and formed, the don't appear as melted slag. Also I find quite a few smaller pieces with holes in it....for the most part this is also a natural occurrence....not drilled by ancient man.

Anyhow, keep looking any you will find something..cant escape you forever. I plan on looking some this weekend...still want that 5" scottsbluff point of my dreams.

Happy Hunting,

Atlantis

OP
OP
bean man

bean man

Sep 2, 2006
Central Iowa

Hey Atlantis,

Do you think natives took fire hardend material from those fire pits you talked about and made tools
and are they ever on that sedimentary rock that has all those clam fossils in it?

Thanks,

BM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread