Wisconsin Paleo

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
I had to the chance to acquire a small collection of Wisconsin pieces over the weekend. The collection consisted of about 60 pieces most of which were late archaic and woodland. There were a few early archaic pieces as well. However, the collection did contain 3 paleo pieces which I thought was a pretty good ratio. The collection was found near Brodhead in Green County which is in south central Wisconsin. The clovis measures 2-9/16" long and interestingly is made of Attica Chert (Indiana Green). This is the first Clovis I have seen from Wisconsin made of this material. Although, I did participate in a dig on a Clovis site in Dekalb County, Illinois which is a few counties away. The primary lithic material used was Attica Chert which is still over 100 miles from the source. Anyway, there is also a Midland made probably of Galena chert on the right and an unidentified type also made of Galena chert on the left. I'm going to forward the pics on to a friend who is doing Paleo research in Illinois and Wisconsin to see his thoughts on the type.

Hippy

IMG_2650.jpg

Upvote 0

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Hippy!! from what i can find it looks like from left you have a clovis st louis, clovis and a meserve. Terry

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Hippy - Nice pieces. I can't find a picture or reference but I'm thinking I've seen similar points to the one on the right referred to as Goshen points. Does that ring a bell or is it even an established point type? I'm going off of memory alone here.

Joe

WhiteCountyPaleo

Jul 21, 2008
Lafayette, IN
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Nice. I really like the Indiana Green one. I live not far from the outcroppings.
I've yet to find a whole paleo made out of it. It's interesting how the concave
base has been modified.
-chad-

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice paleo.

Top Member Reactions