Arrow Head found on the beach NJ ?

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
This was kicked up on the beach in NJ I think its an arrow head? Probally the lenape this was very near Island Beach State Park a known area for them. Any thoughts on it? I haven't any clue.
steve

Attachments

• 401118_2522707110257_1330713379_32479479_1831773300_n.jpg
    401118_2522707110257_1330713379_32479479_1831773300_n.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 3,198
Upvote 0

WV sifter

Aug 24, 2011
man,this is a tough call,does it show flaking patterns,i cannot tell from the pic is the base thin? I know the shape sure fits the bill of a stemmed point!

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. It is a arrowhead.......looks like a Susquehanna broad. It is made of what appears to be Argillite which is a soft grainy stone that when made into a arrowhead many examples i have found have no evidence of flaking. Since this was by the water then i'm really surprised it survived. If you take a toothbrush to it to clean it, it will actually start to turn the water into the points color. All Argillite will do this as it is a soft stone........................GTP

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
What GTP said. It's an Argillite point. I've seen primarily two materials from Jersey, argillite and quartz. There are so dark flints and jaspers available as well but you found the most common material from my experience. I don't know what kind of point it is, but the generic stemmed form is the what I usually see. A cool point. I lived in Jersey for ~6 months and never was able to find a point.

artorius

Jul 30, 2008
Pennsylvania
It clearly is an argillite point. Argillite unfortunately is one of the few lithics that weather badly in the ground. It weathers like placing limestone in acid. The surface chiiping often erodes completely away, leaving aa core in the form of the original point.

With all respect to GTP, I am not sure, with what you have, that you can rule out other archaic stemmed points. Too much detail has been lost in the weathering process.

Still, a nice find.

artorius

lordpiney

Aug 12, 2009
Im also a fellow NJ artifact hunter, and Ive found many Argillite points worn down just like yours. the archaeologist at the museum in Trenton, id'ed them as Bare Island points from the late archaic. a lot of artifacts have been washing up on the beaches the past few years due to all the beach replenishment going on.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oxbowbarefoot said:
Nice point. were you out detecting when you found it?

Ox, he couldn't detect there if he wanted too, unless he wanted to be wearing the latest NJ fashion, iron bracelets, complements of the State :laughing7:

OP
OP
Buried Crap NJ

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ox, he couldn't detect there if he wanted too, unless he wanted to be wearing the latest NJ fashion, iron bracelets, complements of the State :laughing7:

That's so NOT true you can hunt Island Beach State Park, you just have to register with the Rangers, during the summer you have to stop by 10am and you can start again at 4pm durring the winter you can hunt all day! I have been detecting IBS since 1974.Now after the storm you can't get to the Park.
BCNJ

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
That's so NOT true you can hunt Island Beach State Park, you just have to register with the Rangers, during the summer you have to stop by 10am and you can start again at 4pm durring the winter you can hunt all day! I have been detecting IBS since 1974.Now after the storm you can't get to the Park.
BCNJ

your probably late for dinner a lot aint ya?

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
i said that because he was a little late replying to this thread :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread