very old stone work or marvel of nature?

ThecuttingEj

Dec 30, 2011
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys I'm new here hope you can help me out with this and that these pics will do, I don't currently have a very high quality camera but I may be able to get better pics soon if you need them. This is a limestone rock, looks like a fish to me, it's flat on one side and on the bottom, even sits upright like it was made to do so. I found it at a creek where I commonly hunt for arrowheads, which at points runs through limestone bedrock I guess it's called. Dunno if this was formed by water or man.. I haven't been able to find one thing on the internet that resembles it even remotely.. An odd thing about it is the deep bowl in the center of it, it makes me think the whole thng is simply the product of an unforgiving mother nature.. But then I look at it some more and can't help but wonder if someone at least maybe took a rock that just so happened to be shaped like a fish and drilled an eye hole in it? I posted a pic pointing out the only marks on the back side of it, again, I just don't have the knowledge to know if those marks are from water errosion or what, but I just wanted to point in out since the pics aren't very high quality. There are a few holes like the "eye hole" but all of the holes look old, no sharp edges or sign of recent drilling, wondered if some kind of worm is known to eat through limestone or something? There are no apparent new breaks or fractures in the rock, even the edges of the flat bottom are relatively "soft" corners. Any ideas?

E

Attachments

• fishstone.jpg
    fishstone.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 614
  • fishstone2.jpg
    fishstone2.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 634
  • fishstone3.jpg
    fishstone3.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 632
  • comp1.jpg
    comp1.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 671
  • fishstone23.JPG
    fishstone23.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 666
Upvote 0

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
i am no expert and could be mistaken, i think it is a work of mother nature, if i had found it, it would steal have found a home. i like her work. Terry

F

Felinepeachy

I agree, it's a geofact. Lord knows I've dragged home many just because they are interesting. Now I have boxes and bowls full of them What to do, what to do :tongue3:

OP
OP
ThecuttingEj

ThecuttingEj

Dec 30, 2011
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tmodel said:
i am no expert and could be mistaken, i think it is a work of mother nature, if i had found it, it would steal have found a home. i like her work. Terry

My thoughts exactly! Mother nature's way more talented than I'll ever be 8) Thanx guys!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely a natural stone, but still very cool. I probably would have brought that home as well and thrown it in the rock garden.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Felinepeachy said:
I agree, it's a geofact. Lord knows I've dragged home many just because they are interesting. Now I have boxes and bowls full of them What to do, what to do :tongue3:

So, that's why you offered to send me "all" the artifacts I wanted! :laughing7:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The pictures are lacking for sure, can't see much detail. But if there is any flaking in the half circle or concave edged area and if it appears the pointy part was put there intentionally, it may be a spokeshave with a large graver, but I don't see fetish or anything else it could be. The pic does show a couple other pieces that could be spokeshaves too.

Joel

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a nice collection of artifacts. The piece in ? Geofact. Thanks for posting/finds!

OP
OP
ThecuttingEj

ThecuttingEj

Dec 30, 2011
Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quito said:
The pictures are lacking for sure, can't see much detail. But if there is any flaking in the half circle or concave edged area and if it appears the pointy part was put there intentionally, it may be a spokeshave with a large graver, but I don't see fetish or anything else it could be. The pic does show a couple other pieces that could be spokeshaves too.

Joel

Thanx for the input, i'll try to post a better pic in the next couple days. It struck me as odd tho, I've found thousands of arrowheads and tools and usually have a fairly good eye for distinguishing "handy work" vs nature. But generally that deals with flint type rock or if limestone you can tell by the deliberation seen in the design, but I've also found rocks that were very odd shapes but were obviously made by nature. None of them ever to this extent tho, as far as being anatomically correct even down to the proper placement of the eye.. I like you saw the similarity between the spokeshave looking things (which are definately man-made) you mentioned and the fish thing which is why I had them juxtaposed in the one pic. I guess the thing that had me reeling about it is that there are no "strike" makrs, the whole thing is basically seamless, which is why on one hand I figure it's of nature, but I wasn't sure if because it's limestone it coud've been ground or "sanded" into it's shape.. Like I said I'll try to post some better pics here soon.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions