Clovis point found in Suffolk, VA

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705, Equinox 600, GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Reposting from the "today's finds" section.
Yesterday I managed to talk my 15 y/o daughter into going out CW relic hunting with me in Suffolk, VA. I've previously found a few cannon ball frags and iron whatnots so she was geared up to find some relics. I figured she would dig my targets as I continued to search (my plan - not hers, and you really can't make a teenager do something they don't want to). So we are hunting a field when she hollers to me "I just found an arrowhead". She hurried over to me and showed me her arrowhead and I couldn't believe what she held in her hand. Too bad it had been broken in half and from the look of the marks it was probably from recent dozer work in the field. Oh well. Point is 2" long with fluting almost the full 2" on one side and on the other a very short flute. Now we need to head back to the field to locate the rest of it.

Attachments

• IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 1,768
  • IMG_0169.JPG
    IMG_0169.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,648
  • IMG_0159.JPG
    IMG_0159.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 1,356
  • IMG_0169.JPG
    IMG_0169.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 1,343
Upvote 0

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
hello Fever!! and welcome to Tnet, AIA forum from Tmodel!! on the eastern highland rim of Tennessee. with finds i think you might need to change your hobby at least for a while, hope you can find the other piece, i am with you on fresh break. if you need a quick sifter find one of the plastic cold drink cases duck tape the side holes up so you do not get more dirt on you then the ground. mighty pretty clovis base, many are framing nice basses of that class of points. i would to if i could ever find one, ow well while i am wishing why not a 12 piece cashe.

OP
OP
fever87

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
tmodel said:
hello Fever!! and welcome to Tnet, AIA forum from Tmodel!! on the eastern highland rim of Tennessee. with finds i think you might need to change your hobby at least for a while, hope you can find the other piece, i am with you on fresh break. if you need a quick sifter find one of the plastic cold drink cases duck tape the side holes up so you do not get more dirt on you then the ground. mighty pretty clovis base, many are framing nice basses of that class of points. i would to if i could ever find one, ow well while i am wishing why not a 12 piece cashe.

I was going to head back out with a shovel and one of my gold prospecting classifiers to help filter the dirt. I have been hunting for arrowheads for years but have been terribly unlucky at it (last piece I found was in Oct '03!). We've searched many river banks and creeks in NE OH over the years but nada. My daughter saw this one and thought the shape was odd and that the end looked like a white "skate purse" like what we find out at the beach (though those are black). She picked it up and reliezed quickly what it was. The term "clovis" meant nothing to her but she's reading up on it now and is almost as jazzed about the find as I am. I'm still stunned.

theviking

Bronze Member
Aug 29, 2009
Blue ridge mts, Virginia
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been searching my garden for a year looking for the other half of a point, no luck yet. It's not unheard-of to find the missing half of an artifact, good luck. I occasionally travel to Chesapeake to hunt for sharks teeth, beautiful place to live. H.H.

masonh

Jun 24, 2010
that is an incredibly cool find! a guy i know has found a couple of clovis points in the surry area in a lifetime of hunting, so i know they are in the area, was that only point found? is it quartzite?

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, great find. You should grid that area real good in all light levels, dry and wet. You'll be pulling more of those beauties out for sure. Congrats,
-Ox

OP
OP
fever87

fever87

Aug 16, 2009
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
masonh said:
that is an incredibly cool find! a guy i know has found a couple of clovis points in the surry area in a lifetime of hunting, so i know they are in the area, was that only point found? is it quartzite?

Not sure what the material is. As you can see from pic I've added it looks like the exterior was mineralizing or something.

Attachments

• IMG_0203.JPG
    IMG_0203.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 2,017

flintmel

Feb 3, 2012
Ct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a recent break, keep an eye out! Nice piece, even though broke!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go back and try and find the other half even if it means using a box screed. Old digger.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread