bucks county

seef

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys :)

I've recently become interested in looking for arrowheads. I've always been interested in native American culture but recently my friend has told me about the area I live in and how arrowheads are commonly found. Tomorrow I am planning on heading up to Bethlehem and looking around monocacy creek because on my last hunt I was told arrowheads can be found there. The reason im posting though is because I'm very new o all this and any tips would be appreciated. Also if there are any locations in this area worth checking out that anyone could tell me that would be awesome.

Thank you!

Upvote 1

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Like most all humans, they like water so near creeks, old creek beds is good. Also walk into the sun and chase the shiny spots in the fields. Most important have fun preserving our American history.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
If I'm remembering correctly, Monocacy creek heads all the way to Nazareth, passing just west of town. I have seen people looking for arrowheads in the field on the southwest corner of where 248 crosses Monacacy heading into Nazareth from the West. From 248 there is also a good looking area a few hundred yards upstream on the western side of the creek. If you're interested in some spots up around Palmerton and Slatington email me - I have about a half dozen specific locations I can send you. I also have a contact name or two of some folks who can help get you headed in the right direction.

Good luck,
Joe

OP
OP
S

seef

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Im about to head there now. Im gonna check up by 248. Thanks for the tips! When im back ill shoot you a pm with my email.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Twitch said:
If I'm remembering correctly, Monocacy creek heads all the way to Nazareth, passing just west of town. I have seen people looking for arrowheads in the field on the southwest corner of where 248 crosses Monacacy heading into Nazareth from the West. From 248 there is also a good looking area a few hundred yards upstream on the western side of the creek. If you're interested in some spots up around Palmerton and Slatington email me - I have about a half dozen specific locations I can send you. I also have a contact name or two of some folks who can help get you headed in the right direction.

Good luck,
Joe

Very nice gesture Twitch :thumbsup:

OP
OP
S

seef

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just got back from that creek and didn't find much :( . I'm not to sure if this is anything but I'd figured I'd ask. The place looked awesome though!

Attachments

• S__0001.jpg
    S__0001.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 699
  • S__0028.jpg
    S__0028.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 671

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Way to go Joe! If you follow Joes advice n directions you will find artifacts. I have walked fields n creeks with the man.

OP
OP
S

seef

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
buzzgator said:
Way to go Joe! If you follow Joes advice n directions you will find artifacts. I have walked fields n creeks with the man.

I sent Joe a PM so I'm just waiting to hear back. :) He seems to know my area pretty well and I'm excited to check out the spots he knows of!

And do you think what I found is an actual arrowhead?

buzzgator

Nov 15, 2006
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC-IIBa/Tesoro Cibola
Im thinking its just a rock. Keep looking they r out there!

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Gary - Thanks for the endorsement.

seef - I sent you an email today with attachment. In your area there are two common lithics to look for, Carbon County chert and Vera Cruz Jasper. The Carbon Co is a dull grey, from light to dark, with fossil inclusions. Go the site I send you on Stoney Ridge Rd, it's a Carbon County chert quarry. There are tools all over the place and little hundreds of tons of flint. The Vera Cruz jasper is usually orange and brown. It was quarried out of a city park in MaCungie, down by Trexlertown. I don't remember the name of the park but it's worth a trip there to at least figure out what you're looking for. (I also found a silver Canadian dime last time I was there???) Vera Cruz is very nice material but it's hard to find very large pieces of it that are knappable. There is also Bowmanston chert which is a dull pink, cream and purple material. Finally quartzite isn't uncommon in the area. Look for the lithics and you'll find the points.

Good luck

seantats83

Jul 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello twitch. My name is Sean. I'm native american and I have just started collecting artifacts of my culture. I love in slatington Pa and saw that you know specific areas get to look. I would greatly appreciate any info you could give me of where to look and the best tools to use while hunting. Thank you so much in advance!

Sep 23, 2023
Hello twitch. My name is Sean. I'm native american and I have just started collecting artifacts of my culture. I love in slatington Pa and saw that you know specific areas get to look. I would greatly appreciate any info you could give me of where to look and the best tools to use while hunting. Thank you so much in advance!
Ive been doing rhis for 18 years, im willing to help any newcomers

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
One of the reasons Bucks Co attracted Indians is the Jasper source there. Around 25 yrs ago a new housing edition was built and they exposed a lot of Jasper. Some local knappers sent me some. I heated it and made this biface. Very nice material and it came in good sized pieces.👍🏻
IMG_2307.jpeg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread