Northern Plains ID help

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
I picked up a few pieces recently that I dont know much about. It's a small collection from the Dakotas altough I dont know exactly where. I believe the top two brokes are Bijou Hills material. Does anyone recognize any of other materials? Also does anyone know of the type or material on the long, stemmed piece. I'm not sure but I was thinking the material might be Flint Hills Quartzite??? Thanks for any help that anyone can give me.

Hippy

IMG_2757.jpg

IMG_2758.jpg

IMG_2764.jpg

IMG_2765.jpg

IMG_2759.jpg

IMG_2762.jpg

Upvote 0

Cachefind09

Oct 31, 2010
Clark County Ohio
That long stemmed piece is exceptional and a center piece in any collection. I don't know what it would be typed as in the dakotas, but I would call it an Adena Dickson if found in the midwest.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The Bijou Hills will be a greenish color, at least every piece I have found and seen is. The bottom left piece looks like a segment of Sheet Chalcedony/ a piece of a Badlands Knife. Should be very flat both sides and about 1/4 thick. Dull crusty looking exterior with nice trtanslucent material showing at flaking?

We have a lot of glacial deposited rocks that were often used making id difficult, especially from pictures.

Joel

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions