Hohokam Pottery Shards

AZ_Gold

Jan 29, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a tip from a local, I found a new place to hunt for artifacts. I found so many shards that I stopped picking them up.

shards3_5_12a.jpg

shards3_5_12b.jpg

shards3_5_12c.jpg

That's just two of the spots I found. There were dozens of other spots with as many or more. I believe they're Hohokam because this location is not far from where I found a Hohokam stone axe (along with similar shards) , and both sites are just off of the San Pedro river.

I am stoked about this site. I'm going to search here until the cows come home. ;D

Upvote 0

1AB Hunter

Dec 23, 2010
Brownsville KY
Looks like a great place to hunt In the first picture bottom midle looks like a drill in the dirt I am sure it is not but in this picture it sure stands out

ouachitacaveman

Mar 12, 2011
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pot-sherds ! Some of the stones
in the area look cool too !!
Thanks for the photos !

flintmel

Feb 3, 2012
Ct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
round stone looks like either a hammerstone or a grinding stone? Nice finds, good luck!

OP
OP
AZ_Gold

AZ_Gold

Jan 29, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
old digger said:
Cool! Good luck!

Thanks! I think luck (or chance) plays a huge part in artifact hunting. Skill and careful scanning of the ground are good, but there are so many factors involved: storms and wind revealing new things and being at the right place at the right time, etc.

1AB Hunter said:
Looks like a great place to hunt In the first picture bottom midle looks like a drill in the dirt I am sure it is not but in this picture it sure stands out

I carefully examined everything at this spot, and you are correct: it was not a drill. BUT...

ouachitacaveman said:
Some of the stones in the area look cool too !!

flintmel said:
round stone looks like either a hammerstone or a grinding stone? Nice finds, good luck!

Yes, I believe that round stone was used as a tool. I kept that. It has some markings along the edges as if it were used as a grinder.

Thanks guys! :D Will keep you posted on future finds there. I have never found an arrowhead! This site is my big hope, as it has not been trampled by modern man. Only me and the guy who told me about it know about this one. It's off the beaten path.

OP
OP
AZ_Gold

AZ_Gold

Jan 29, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the round stone:

stonegrinder1.jpg

stonegrinder2.jpg

No way to be certain I guess, but I think it was used as a tool. The "wear" marks are more pronounced on the fat end.

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. Ever find any black n white pottery?

OP
OP
AZ_Gold

AZ_Gold

Jan 29, 2012
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BirdCloud said:
Nice. Ever find any black n white pottery?

No, I haven't. I've found lots of shards that are black on one side (the inside) and red on the other side. Found a couple black/black.

The Salado culture made some awesome black and white pottery. I visited Besh-Ba-Gowah a couple years ago. It's a working archaeological site open to the public, with a small museum. It's in Globe, Az., not far from where I live.

Here are a couple captures from a video I took there:

saladopottery1.jpg

saladosite1.jpg

I would recommend a visit if you're ever in the the area. Lots of cool artifacts in the museum, and you can walk around the ruins. You can even go inside the two story structure and climb a ladder to the second floor.

Google Earth users check it out at 33°22'55.11"N, 110°46'21.95"W

beshbagowah.jpg

The Hohokam did do some black/white pottery, but mostly red on buff or fired black is what you find along the San Pedro river.

AZG :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread