Putting pieces together!

Martingeetars

Dec 16, 2009
The south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just messing around with somethings laying on my shelf, I grabbed a bone handle I found
years ago diving and a kirk point I found a couple of weeks ago digging, only because they were somewhat
perportional to eachother size wise, and I slid the point into the handle and right where they come together
there are two notches in the bone that look like, that if this were the case would wear from the shoulders of a point resting there.
This is for example only, but I think its a good representation of what a prehistoric knife would look like. Minus sinew and what ever else they used to adhere point to handle.

Attachments

• knife handle 005.JPG
    knife handle 005.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 410
  • knife handle 004.JPG
    knife handle 004.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 586
  • knife handle 008.JPG
    knife handle 008.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 614
  • knife handle2 003.JPG
    knife handle2 003.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 613
  • knife handle2 002.JPG
    knife handle2 002.JPG
    259.5 KB · Views: 632
Upvote 0

flintdigger

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2010
They would have used sinew. If not sinew they would have used boiled pine pitch to hold it in place. If you are thinking about putting it together I would get some deer sinew and use that, the wet sinew would dry and srink and hold it in place and would do no permanent damage to either piece if you should ever want to take the apart.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's likely an excellent example of how they might have made a stone knife with handle. I look forward to the "finished product."

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Mart!! if i had those two artifacts i would display them just like in last photo. if point is not tight enought to be safe handleing you could use tooth picks to tighten it, i think they would have used pieces of wood and done it this way if they wanted to keep handle for many blades. Terry

OP
OP
Martingeetars

Martingeetars

Dec 16, 2009
The south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the kind words and info, i had'nt thought of actually putting them together but thats a very interesting
thought. Maybe I'll talk to some of my hunting buds and see if I can get some sinew from one of there future hunts. Would that be like the achilles tendon?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello: Hi Mark; Yes, any tendon will work, the longer the better. Go to a butcher shop and get some cow tendon. The longer the better, and split it length ways in strip of about one eight to a quarter inch wide. Heat the sinew in water carefully, and wrap while it is wet. Use a strong water based glue to tie the ends, or maybe use a super glue gel after it has dried a bit. It's possible that they would put some pitch or ( ? ) inside around the base of the point to keep it from moving back and forth. :thumbsup:

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
if it was mine i would use no glue on bone or stone, if you use pices of wood only get it tight enought to hold saftly for display and handeling, not for use. yes achilles tendon go ahead and wrap with sinew and tie off, they did not glue all handles on, think somebody turnes butter fingered, upoops six pices plus cdips, no glue take broken point out put new one in a lot less damage to handle Terry

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tmodel said:
if it was mine i would use no glue on bone or stone, if you use pices of wood only get it tight enought to hold saftly for display and handeling, not for use. yes achilles tendon go ahead and wrap with sinew and tie off, they did not glue all handles on, think somebody turnes butter fingered, upoops six pices plus cdips, no glue take broken point out put new one in a lot less damage to handle Terry
Oh! but they did use glue made from animal hooves. And it was quite effective. I have tried it myself with help from a modern day mountain man. We boiled some hooves down to the point most of the liquid had disipated, and what was left was a gel consistincy that was sticky and when dried held the sinew in place.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
Olddigger!! PLEASE read reply # 8 completeley,, and yes that is one of the maney ways they are thought to have made glue, Tmodel AKA Terry

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is very cool and a good fit. You might try lapping the sinew end under the last wrap and when it dries it will pull it tight avoiding the use of any glue.Pine pitch put between the bone and blade would add strength in that little pocket. Very nice looking ancient tool. I like it. :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions