short afternoon hunt, what did I find?

lightman

May 23, 2010
england, ar
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First time this year I got to try one of my regular places. It was still extremely muddy and I didn't stay long but I did find this and two points.
Sorry no in-situ, thought that the rock with the hole in it was the handle of a modern day paint brush. It is some type of hard stone, heavier than normal, highly polished on all sides and has one flat spot on what I call the bottom. If anyone would care to name it or the points, I would be pleased. I am located in south central Arkansas in the Arkansas River Basin. Thank you.

[mod]Since the original photos were so large, and fyrffytr1 was nice enough to resize, I'm deleting these pictures.[/mod]

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you don't mind but I resized some of your pics for you. The others were out of focus a little so I didn't do them.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 358
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    135.7 KB · Views: 486
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    194.1 KB · Views: 480
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    184.7 KB · Views: 713
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 736
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 748

flintmel

Feb 3, 2012
Ct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
much better, nice pieces, what is the translucent piece's material?

OP
OP
L

lightman

May 23, 2010
england, ar
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Fyrffy,I did not mind,thanks so much for the help.Every site that I belong to does the pic thing a little different,and I'm still learning.I would really like to know how you did that,if you would be so kind to teach,and a pm will do.
Flintmel,I really don't know,but it"s common around here.I'm a raw newby,so anything I say is guess work.What little I know,I learned on this site.
Sorry about the lousy/too large pics,hopefully I'll get better.Its the main reason I've been a member for 2 years,and have 2 post!Would still like to know if anyone knows what the do-dad is that I found.Thanks everyone, Lightman

flintmel

Feb 3, 2012
Ct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
not sure where you're at, we have a fine grained quarzite in my area thats translucent but what you have there is finer yet like a chert.

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
need more photos of points boath faces and side to show how thin point is, with micro and no flash to mutch glare. i yhink your polished stone with drilled hole is a plummet. Terry

OP
OP
L

lightman

May 23, 2010
england, ar
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the replys, everybody. I'm really challenged with posting pics. Hopefully, I'll get better at it. I've had a good start, hunting, this year, and hope to post some more pics.
I was thinking this do-dad might be a plummet, but there are old house places on or near most of my sights, and I feared that it might be modern. This has been a productive site, and has just now been worked up, and rained on.
Thanks for the ID! Lightman

tmodel

Feb 5, 2011
mid tn.
look at the holes of what i called a plummet from each side it looks like looking down the big end of a funnal, 2 true cone shapes metting in the middle a true mark of a flint drill. Terry

M

mikusek

"a true mark of a flint drill"

Also, a hole drilled with a reed, stalk, or cane is slightly conical.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions