Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Mar 2007
    Samuel Watson's Old Place
    Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
    5 times

Question on arrowheads and timelines?

Most of what I have read shows the bow and arrow came to America around the Mississippian era. Why is it that there are Dalton points small as a nickel? Wasn't the Dalton period before the Archaic and Woodland Period? Wouldn't the really small Dalton points suggest that they were used for arrows instead of spears or atlatl darts? Curious as to other's thoughts on this.

us
    Feb 2012
    Ct.
    20 times
    Relic Hunting
    Thats a great point, occassionally see very small fluted points also! According to the experts, the bow has only been around in North America for approx. 2000 years
    I close my eyes, only for a moment and the moments gone......

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2006
    SE Louisiana
    Garrett AT Pro & Ace 250
    1350 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Reposted for Old Digger.

There have been different opinions as to when and how the change between the paleo era and arcadic era. Some believe that the change to the bow and arrow was a quick change and others believe that it was a slower process. The paleo hunters, while mostly used the larger projectiles on the larger game like the mammoth and Bison "antiquitis". Then there was a mixture of use

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	folder 2 001.JPG 
Views:	663 
Size:	772.7 KB 
ID:	620622

us
    Mar 2009
    440 times
    First, I would need to see this Dalton Point you speak of. I have never heard of a Dalton Point that little being Early Archaic and usually carrying a 1/2" up to 1" stemmed base. I have seen extremely small and fine lance Points that small. Never a Dalton. Are you sure you have Typology correct. It could be a early woodland piece and typed a bird point. As to your question for the period a Dalton was made it was Early Archaic to Middle Archaic. The time frames represented in RiverRats display show current accepted time-frames based on Carbon dating sites. Right now though those time-frames are being added onto as new discoveries are re-writing them. The time-frames represented are not accurate as Early Archaic has a timeframe of 6000 to 8000 BP(Before Present)............................If you have that point I would love to see it as it would be the smallest Dalton I and alot of people have ever seen!!!!...........................Here is a link to the Olive Branch Site Daltons and there time represent 9500 to 10,500BP......Dalton Point From The Olive Branch Site ...............................Hope this Helps..............GTP

us
    Mar 2007
    Samuel Watson's Old Place
    Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
    5 times
    Would some of these not be considered Daltons?:

Also from your link: These points can range in size from less than an inch to one famous example that was reported to have been 15 inches long.

Name:	614383d1332457510-found-some-rocks-wp_001007.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	620644
    Last edited by SwampHunter; Mar 27, 2012 at 11:53 PM.

us
    Mar 2008
    Middleburg, Pa.
    321 times
    Guns, Coins, Arrowheads
    Probably most points over 3 inches were used as knives. Smaller points have a lot better penetration. The tiny Lecroy points would have been a good penetrator !

us
    Mar 2009
    440 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SwampHunter View Post
    Would some of these not be considered Daltons?:

Also from your link: These points can range in size from less than an inch to one famous example that was reported to have been 15 inches long.

Name:	614383d1332457510-found-some-rocks-wp_001007.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	620644
    Absolutely from the top row- left to right(1st,2nd,5th,6th) and second row 2nd from left. They definitely look like Daltons. Nice finds!!!!! To answer your question I believe that those would have been used as Atlatl darts..................JMO............GTP

Sponsors