Question on arrowheads and timelines?

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Most of what I have read shows the bow and arrow came to America around the Mississippian era. Why is it that there are Dalton points small as a nickel? Wasn't the Dalton period before the Archaic and Woodland Period? Wouldn't the really small Dalton points suggest that they were used for arrows instead of spears or atlatl darts? Curious as to other's thoughts on this.

Upvote 0

flintmel

Feb 3, 2012
Ct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thats a great point, occassionally see very small fluted points also! According to the experts, the bow has only been around in North America for approx. 2000 years

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reposted for Old Digger.

There have been different opinions as to when and how the change between the paleo era and arcadic era. Some believe that the change to the bow and arrow was a quick change and others believe that it was a slower process. The paleo hunters, while mostly used the larger projectiles on the larger game like the mammoth and Bison "antiquitis". Then there was a mixture of use

folder 2 001.JPG

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First, I would need to see this Dalton Point you speak of. I have never heard of a Dalton Point that little being Early Archaic and usually carrying a 1/2" up to 1" stemmed base. I have seen extremely small and fine lance Points that small. Never a Dalton. Are you sure you have Typology correct. It could be a early woodland piece and typed a bird point. As to your question for the period a Dalton was made it was Early Archaic to Middle Archaic. The time frames represented in RiverRats display show current accepted time-frames based on Carbon dating sites. Right now though those time-frames are being added onto as new discoveries are re-writing them. The time-frames represented are not accurate as Early Archaic has a timeframe of 6000 to 8000 BP(Before Present)............................If you have that point I would love to see it as it would be the smallest Dalton I and alot of people have ever seen!!!!...........................Here is a link to the Olive Branch Site Daltons and there time represent 9500 to 10,500BP......Dalton Point From The Olive Branch Site ...............................Hope this Helps..............GTP

OP
OP
S

SwampHunter

Mar 6, 2007
Samuel Watson's Old Place
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70, Tesoro Silver uMax, Fisher 1265X, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pointer
Would some of these not be considered Daltons?:

Also from your link: These points can range in size from less than an inch to one famous example that was reported to have been 15 inches long.

614383d1332457510-found-some-rocks-wp_001007.jpg

Last edited:

wells

Mar 1, 2008
Middleburg, Pa.
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably most points over 3 inches were used as knives. Smaller points have a lot better penetration. The tiny Lecroy points would have been a good penetrator !

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would some of these not be considered Daltons?:

Also from your link: These points can range in size from less than an inch to one famous example that was reported to have been 15 inches long.

View attachment 620644

Absolutely from the top row- left to right(1st,2nd,5th,6th) and second row 2nd from left. They definitely look like Daltons. Nice finds!!!!! To answer your question I believe that those would have been used as Atlatl darts..................JMO............GTP

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread