Is this a (Atlatl)

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this stone item today while detecting, it is about 2" long, 1/4 " dia. The web site I found this similar item says they are quite rare, it is either stone or slate. The site me mentions that these items where used before the bow and arrow. Any ideas, thanks. IMG_1307.jpg IMG_1306.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, is it rare to find one?

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
nice find, looks like a stone plummet. We find them made from the center whorl of the busycon conch or horse conch shell. the top piece where the groove is , is where it was attached to the cordage. I have seen pics of one found with the cordage attached from a wet site dig that preserved the fiber

Last edited:

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
an atlatl is the device for throwing the spear whiich is super rare to find. Atlatl hooks are found but they are rare also.

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks, it is a new find for me, I have found other stone items, but not like this. HH

wells

Mar 1, 2008
Middleburg, Pa.
Primary Interest:
Other
You sure that aint a slate pencil used in 17 & 18 100s, they are quite common can be found anywhere. Thats my guess on that piece, looks like many i've seen.

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It is stone, the pencil lead is slimmer.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice plummet......

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be cool to find. What did that web site say it was? I wonder what it would have been used for, and whether it's of native or European manufacture.

wells

Mar 1, 2008
Middleburg, Pa.
Primary Interest:
Other
I did'nt say pencil lead. The old slate pencil did'nt have wood around it, the slate was the whole thing, about the diameter of a modern pencil. yes and slate is stone. Try finding a few examples and see for yourself. Sometimes they had groves on them to hang by a string. I saw a lot of plummets but none shaped like that. Check into it.

OP
OP
Brian C.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Go to the site, Ancient Native American artifacts, or western artifacts.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Like others have said, it is a plummet. Used either as a weight or a pendant. I think most are pendants here, especially if well made. I've seen pics of them found with fishing line and hooks and also seen pics of them found in association with the chest of burials. Not uncommon in my area but may be less common in other parts of the country.... Most here are made of shell, stone is used less commonly because we don't have much hardstone here. All but one of these were found on Woodland sites where bow and arrow were used.
AlbrtoPlum.jpg

limerockplummet2.jpg

plummet1b.jpg

plummet2b.jpg

plummet5a.jpg

plummet6a.jpg

plummet10b.jpg

plummet7a.jpg

PlummetFeb06-2.jpg

PlumMX051508a.jpg

Last edited:

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
i am sure it is a plummet
it is not an atlatl weight
if it had a groove on both ends and one side was slightly ftattened, then it could be an atlatl weight

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
Hope it's a plummet but I can't jump on the plummet bandwagon until someone can explain why its not a old slate pencil. As Wells mentioned, do a search and check them out. I've found a few over the years and assumed they were Native American. I took them to an artifact show and was promptly told they were slate pencils. Come in many shapes and sizes. Interested in hearing everyone's thoughts once you've made comparisons.

T.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread