Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Martingeetars

Dec 16, 2009
The south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Drive around for hours, find some plowed fields,Ask permission, concentrate on areas near water, creek or river or lake or pond. Walk for hours with your head down and cross your fingers!

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look after the first rains in plowed or harrowed fields they are easier to spot then. leave your detector in the car that way you consentrate on looking for points and you'l find more. Please post what you find. Good luck. HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Last edited:

SCdigger

Apr 6, 2003
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher F75/F70, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
High ground, near water. Plowed fields after rain...

GT

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Hutch in PA

Nov 18, 2010
Western PA
When you stop to ask for permission, ask if anyone hunts the ground. But more importantly, ask if they ever see the same person there twice! And if they tell you 'that field was picked over years ago' you know you're onto something.

lightman

May 23, 2010
england, ar
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with what the others have suggested.I'm a newbe too,only been hunting for my third year.Heres what I did.First of all,some friends got me hooked.After hunting on their places,I got a feel for what to look for,and started finding my own places.So,ask around in the groups that you belong to,like church,the kids ball game group,co-workers,ect.If this fails,drive around in nearby farmland.Look for sandy hills or ridges near bodies of water.Try to get permission,always.Try to catch it after its been disc up and after a rain.Look for chips or flakes of flint,or broken pottery.Learn to tell the difference between flint and household trash.If you are hunting a field without permission and someone drives up,walk out to them,don't make them come to you.Introduce yourself and say that you have tried and failed to find the owner and you are glad to finally meet them.If you get permission,explain that you stopped because the field looked like a likely spot and ask if they know of any others.If you get permission,treat the land respectfully.Take everything with you that you brought.Don't leave cig butts or packages,cans,bottles,ect.Tracks are usually ok,but don't make ruts,and don't walk on their young plants.If you take someone with you,explain that you are a guest,and that they do not have permission to return without you.Hope this helps a little, Lightman

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a little kid I used to look for "arrowheads" in my grandfathers woods by looking at trees. My reasoning was that the "Indians" might have missed the running animals they were shooting at and the arrows would hit the trees and break off. I own 0 arrowheads.. :laughing7:

IllinoisDug

Mar 12, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
Pick up lots of rocks. Learn the colors and types of chert/flint that are native to your area and pick up everything of similar color.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread