Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: copper body armor

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

May 2012
    4371 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Whatever bro.. 100 feet from the beach is nothing in a big storm. Remember that was attached to wood that was floating at the time. A couple feet down is not uncommon at all. I'm from the "treasure coast" in Florida... I know what I'm saying. Make it whatever you want. It's probably off limits Partly because it's a shipwreck site.
    Last edited by GatorBoy; Jan 09, 2013 at 05:47 PM.

May 2012
    4371 times
    Quote Originally Posted by jamey View Post
    interesting post,gator boy your pretty sharp.
    Thanks

May 2012
    4371 times
    Here's a thought.... put salt on it and let it sit out in the Sun. it should turn to gold.

Just kidding with you man.. good luck.

us
    Mar 2008
    Middleburg, Pa.
    328 times
    Guns, Coins, Arrowheads
    Until proved otherwise i'll regard these artifacts non-indian . The spike piece looks more modern than ancient and dose'nt look related to copper culture - to me anyway.
    rock, Get-the-point and Backbacon like this.

Jun 2007
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wells View Post
    Until proved otherwise i'll regard these artifacts non-indian . The spike piece looks more modern than ancient and dose'nt look related to copper culture - to me anyway.
    the spike was not with the copper, but it is old and is hand pounded, my guess 1700's.
    wells likes this.

Jun 2007
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorBoy View Post
    Whatever bro.. 100 feet from the beach is nothing in a big storm. Remember that was attached to wood that was floating at the time. A couple feet down is not uncommon at all. I'm from the "treasure coast" in Florida... I know what I'm saying. Make it whatever you want. It's probably off limits Partly because it's a shipwreck site.
    dude, how can a storm cause big swells in this bay, pushing the copper into the dirt, 100 feet from the beach , also would it not be in the sand from the swells that cant reach it. . and what wood was it attached to it, it has woven grass or bark around it not wood.

"I'm from the "treasure coast" in Florida... I know what I'm saying."

what does this have to do with the wast coast of canada.

"It's probably off limits Partly because it's a shipwreck site." I told you , its now treaty land, thats why its off limits, how can a ship sink on land.
    Last edited by hmmm; Jan 10, 2013 at 12:07 PM.

May 2012
    4371 times
    Go ahead and believe you have Native American body armor. If you don't want to use logic I'm done with this conversation. Me stating that I am from the Treasure Coast is me trying to tell you there are thousands of shipwrecks just minutes from my house up and down the East Coast of Florida. I have seen what you have there many many times. If you would rather picture a Native American Running around in copper sheeting More power to you. You would do very little laughing If you actually did some shipwreck research. You obviously have little understanding. Furthermore... one of the first things shipwreck survivors did was salvage as much as they could from the wreck including wood and metal objects that could be used to build a shelter and headed in away from the shoreline. Shipwreck items have been found a very long way from the wreck site. I'm also willing to bet the shoreline has changed quite a bit from the time of that wreck.
    Last edited by GatorBoy; Jan 10, 2013 at 12:21 PM.

Jun 2007
    25 times
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorBoy View Post
    I'm done with this conversation. .
    you clearly have ship son the brain, so this works for me.

May 2012
    4371 times
    Quote Originally Posted by hmmm View Post

the spike was not with the copper, but it is old and is hand pounded, my guess 1700's.
    Just like the sheathing.

us
    Mar 2009
    442 times
    Wow laughing at a member for offering logical advice. HMMM if you do not like what the members of this forum have to say and you want to place your own thoughts about the piece then why did you post it here?

Your item was found on shore yes over 100ft from the shoreline. Is it possible that the shoreline expanded at least once or twice during the 300 or so yrs. since this item was left? is it possible being attached to wood that the item floated in further then was trapped by the high grass when the water receded? Is it possible that Gator has encountered more of these type of items since he constantly deals with shipwreck remains in Florida? I think the answer to all of these questions is yes it is possible and the logic was placed before you and now you are attacking a member for it. Gator use better tact in your reply to this individual. Now he is just egging you on because he is not satisfied with the results of his post. HMMM if you did not want valid facts to support your find and only want to contradict what people are saying then why post it here. Post it in the what it is section of the forum and i can guarantee you will find the same results. Another thing is this forum is about responsible treasure hunters. It does not condone the act of violating local laws to acquire the artifacts, which in your post you clearly stated you were warned about hunting this spot and told not to do it again yet you post a find on here and state that you cannot go to anyone with it because it was found on that land you were told not to hunt!!..........................GTP

Your words:

i live in bc Canada and it is against the law to pick up artifacts older then 150 years old. bc authorities do not want to see history unfold. i call it hiding history.
    if i take to get it identified, i risk getting charged for finding such a important artifact.
    i do think it is Chinese and there has been other artifacts found, but because of the laws they remain hidden from history.
    The Tyee – Did Ancient Drifters &#39iscover' British Columbia?
    If a boat sinks, it is clasified a herritage ship in just 2 years and removing artifacts is against the law.

The dilemma i am at is, the site is now treaty land and i have been warned to stay away and not to try dig up history.
    10 to 7 years ago, i tried to get attention to the finds i found, but after 10 years and 7 different officers investigating me for allegedly disturbing artifacts, they never charged me want it out of the station
    Last edited by Get-the-point; Jan 10, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

us
    Oct 2011
    787 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    In defense of HMMM....I know the type of beaches and terrain he is talking about. His beaches are not sandy but rocky and the trees come right down to the edge of the beach. 100 feet back, where HMMM is also means steep slope and 30 foot vertical embankments. These islands don't get tidal surges they way the Gulf does. These are smaller steeper islands than Florida and storms break around them not over them.

like I said before....woven cedar....ships spike hand pounded into a blade....and coveted ships copper sheathing hidden for later. You might be into a burial site too as it sounds like your island may not have been a village site. Is this a Cowichan...Kwakiutl....Gwa'sala?...do you know the tribal affiliation?...that could help.

May 2012
    4371 times
    Here are items from the wreck of the SS Atlantic recovered from the island of Saint Paul. in Nova Scotia. the SS Atlantic was an old ship when she went down in 1873. Take a close look at the cross re covered with these items. It matches yours to a T. Yours also happens to have the stone...which is rose cut amethyst... a Hallmark of the 19th century.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ns-atlantic-arts-coc.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	6.9 KB 
ID:	723605

Name:  locatormap-sm-nsgov.jpeg
Views: 155
Size:  4.5 KB
    Last edited by GatorBoy; Jan 13, 2013 at 11:00 AM.
    Tnmountains likes this.

May 2012
    4371 times
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ForumRunner_20130110_180132.png 
Views:	49 
Size:	498.7 KB 
ID:	723611

May 2012
    4371 times
    Glad I could help. Like you said at the opening of this thread...." possibly connected to a seafaring people"

Nov 2012
    Mass.
    154 times
    Relic Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by hmmm View Post
    dude, how can a storm cause big swells in this bay, pushing the copper into the dirt, 100 feet from the beach , also would it not be in the sand from the swells that cant reach it. .
    I live on the east coast and recently found some pictures of the beaches near my house taken in 1913. There are areas in these photos where there is literally 100 ft. of land now that wasn't there 100 years ago. I almost couldn't believe it, but the photos don't lie. I showed them to a guy I know who has property near where they were taken and he told me he's been gaining about 1' of land per year since he's owned it.

Growing up here, in a fishing/shipping community I have seen plenty of pieces of copper exactly like yours sitting in peoples houses or in old fishing shacks. I have a friend who is a shipwreck hunter and he has pieces exactly like yours.

One last thing, when I was a kid, I had a 13 foot scalloping skiff with a small Johnson outboard on it. Hurricane Gloria, which was a fairly minor hurricane, hit and my boat ended up about 40 feet into the brush on the side of the pond where I kept it. This wasn't even on the ocean but in a sheltered cove on a pond. My dad had to get a couple friends and use rollers to get it back in the water. I have no doubt that a serious storm could move just about anything 100ft.

It's still a very cool find but I have to agree that it's from a ship.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsors