Is this pot real or fake?

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
It looks like a legitimate Mississippian pedestal bottle. I don't question the authenticity of it at all, those are healthy "calcium" deposits. The Neck has been salvaged though, dunno if modern or ancient, but I assume the latter ( would check it to make sure). The $350 price tag is too much on it, though.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I can't tell from the pictures but if you see it in person one way to tell old pottery from newer pottery is to lick it. The faster it absorbs the liquid the older it is. Strange but true.
I don't suggest running around licking pots, but this is a little known tool you can use to help you make an informed conclusion on pottery you think may be old.

Incorrect. There are many authentic vessels that water would slide readily from (try that with a finely slipped Caddo piece and you'll see what I mean). Slip, methods of firing and many other things come into play as far as absorption. Whoever told you this is ...incorrect. I don't think you'd want your tongue anywhere near those "Calcium deposits" on that vessel anyways :)

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
You may be right on some forms of pottery. and the test can be affected by the type of climate the pot was found or kept in among other things. I can tell you that I collect Anasazi pottery and use this test often. The test was taught to me by a very well known archeologist who's specialty is southwest indian tribes. I should add that a good forger can make a pot that will quickly absorb moisture and that's where knowledge comes into play. On the other hand he could be sitting behind his desk chuckling to himself thinking about me licking pots. lol

I'm a pottery whore. Yup, it's that bad. I collect ceramics from all over, including the southwest. I have found that there is so much variation (even within single cultures) that it's mind-numbing. Take the Anasazi for instance, they had plain grayware to very refined slips on their vessels. I believe what the guy was trying to describe with the absorption test was the method of firing. There is a helluva lot of different between pit, open (oxygen depraved or rich) and kiln fired vessels - and you often can tell the differences with moisture. If there is a break in the vessel, you can discern tons from the "carbon-rod" that is developed from the firing process. Look at all of the differences between the Hohokam and Mogollon / Salado variations as far as texture, surface treatments, etc. Desert Southwest pottery can be some of the tightest, most homogenous, SOLID pottery there is (rings like a concrete bell)..all of the way to much less refined clay that resembles Mississippian grayware. I used to restore pottery (still do sometimes) and generally used two different fillers for SW ceramics, depending on what I was messing with.

P.S. At the Springdale, AR. show a couple of months ago I acquired some goodies that I need to post. Mimbres, Zuni polychrome, Casa Grandes poly, San Ildefonso, and a Ramos black olla. At an Arkansas show, of all places, lol!

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I don't know what's so weird about that, I don't think I own a single artifact I haven't licked.....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread