Saturday Afternoon Hunt

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
I went to one of my favorite fields this afternoon and looked for a little over 3 hours. I was pleased to find these. I love the little bird point. How in the world were they able to knap a point so small? The next point is nice but the rest all have been damaged by the plow.

DSC00039.jpg

DSC00022.jpg

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

DSC00027.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00035.jpg

Upvote 0

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Damn you find a lot of nice points. As usual, great finds. I'm impressed by the quality and quantity of points you continue to find.

yadkin-hunter

Jan 2, 2009
Just wanted to say hello to you Americus, thanks for posting all of your finds, yes I"am in the Augusta area, when I view yor post I feel right at home, you seem to find mostly coastal plains chert artifacts, as you know most of the artifacts in this area are made of quartz, when we do find artifacts made of chert its seems to me that the chert artifacts are for the most part a better made artifact, what do you think about this.Again thanks for your posts, do you attend any of the artifact shows in GA.

OP
OP
A

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
I think the artifacts made of chert are, in general, much nicer than those made of quartz. I have gone to artifact shows in Columbus, Albany, and Donaldsonville in Georgia and the show in Dothan, Alabama. When I was growing up I hunted on my grandfather's farm near Waynesboro. Everything I found there was made of chert.

yadkin-hunter

Jan 2, 2009
thanks for the reply, I went to the show in dothan last year,it was a great show. Yes Briar creek, i"ve seen a lot of nice artifacts from there and someone told me that he was lucky enough to dig there in the past and said the ground was literally covered in chert flakes, do you find much made of slate/rhyolite material.

OP
OP
A

Americus

Silver Member
Sep 18, 2008
No. I haven't looked in Burke County in a long, long time. My father sold my grandfather's farm a long time ago. All of my finds not come from southwest Georgia.

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for posting your finds. I have a similar bird point that came out of the water and does not have the patina on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread