Found my first grooved axe!!! Woooot!!

fir469

Dec 18, 2007
Hit the newest of my fields, the one that produced the points from my last post. Nabbed a broken quartz point and an unknown material broken tipped blade. On my way out heading back to the car I saw just a small knob of reddish stone sticking out, I hooked it with my rake and pulled a bit and saw the groove! I lost it, happy dance, hootin and hollerin.... My first axe ever! It's about 6" long and 3.5 inches wide.

On a side note, does anyone know what the other rocks are?? They are not found anywhere else in these fields or even the general vicinity, almost all are oblong or egg shaped and rather smooth. Start to find them once the flakes start showing up, when I see em I get excited because I'm into the good area that produce lithics. Grinding stones?? Knapping tools?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
Congrats!!!! Killer ax. Other stones could be grinders hammers camp stones etc.. or could just be natural. Never know without evidence on them. How about a pic of that ax from the top?

flintmel

Feb 3, 2012
Ct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
beauty of an axe, if the other oblong stones have been pounded on the ends then their likely hammerstones

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great axe artifact. It would take me a while to dig that one out! Nice to see they are still out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread