Insurance................

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
gonna be readjusting some of my insurance needs monday with the ever so nice and willing to help insurance folks in town :dontknow: thought about getting my collection appraised and insured against theft. Anyone have their collections insured ? You would think with an 1800 ft driveway on a seldom used backroad, 2 protective shepherds running lose, v serv, and shotguns would keep one out of the spotlight for possible home invasion, so that I wouldn't have to worry about it. But it seems the "PILLERS of society" don't seem to mind in fact they have realized that many out of the way places are the perfect places to hit. There have been a lot of this in the three county area recently. Reports of home invasions on the elderly are up around here too. Some while they are home and the poor old folks are beaten. What a world... huh?

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to an insurance agent back about 15 years ago about getting my collection insured and he told me you have to have them appraised piece by piece, have pictures of everything for proof of ownership, and insure them individually. I'm not sure if that is actually true because I never looked into it any further, but that seems a little extreme and highly expensive to me.

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
That sounds like something I don't want to do...maybe I should bury them again

creek astronaut

Bronze Member
Feb 16, 2009
fairfield county,ohio
I talked to an insurance agent back about 15 years ago about getting my collection insured and he told me you have to have them appraised piece by piece, have pictures of everything for proof of ownership, and insure them individually. I'm not sure if that is actually true because I never looked into it any further, but that seems a little extreme and highly expensive to me.
its not like that anymore,as long as you have someone credible do the appraissal you can most likely have it covered under your homeowners insurance or renters insurance.you will have to have pics and a paper certifying the collection is authentic.on the down side you will have to take your whole collection to someone to do the appraisal or pay them to come to your collection,then you have to think ahead because most of our collections increase in value the more artifacts we acquire,so what do you do, get your collection appraised every year??that was the sticking point with me.i ended up deciding last year to get my collection covered,but that was too late.i had a high dollar frame come up missing.i know who did it but have no proof yet.dont be me,looking for your personally found artifacts at artifact shows because someone stole them and resold them.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
You can get a specific collectables coverage on your pieces, it's not too bad pricewise. You don't need an appraisal on everything, but you should have pictures of your pieces and receipts/invoices for purchases. I know from some historic materials collectors that theft claims are a lot of paperwork.

Like postal insurance, you pay for the amount you want and then have to justify if there is an issue. My agent first quoted coverage for a huge dollar amount, and then we settled on a more realistic coverage at a lower rate.

The bad thing is that shows and traveling are usually things that are not covered at the base price, and your odds of having an issue increase outside your house. (I've never had a piece disappear at home, but I have and things walk away at shows.)

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have mine insured for 50K with State Farm....They have pictures of every artifact I own......values are from 10 years ago though, I know it is under insured but it is beter than no insurance.....

I also have the house protected with monitoring system, all windows, doors and motion detectors as well as detectors for breaking glass, have both land phones and a cell phone that has its own battery pack. If you kill the power to my home and cut my phones it will still put out a signal to alarm company if you enter....... I get a call in less that 30 secs from the alarm company. I have told the alarm company if they do not call me in less than a minute from the time they see the alarm I will find a company that will...... So far in the 11 years I have had them they have never been more than 40 secs in calling me from the time the alarm was set off....I test the alarms and them 4-6 times a year...

I
also have a Smith and Wesson 9mm that stays loaded as a back up alarm system.........:thumbsup:

I have a seperate policy on my art collection, I have a fairly large collection of western art, limited edition prints as well as antique prints from Harpers Weekly and Leslie Weekly.

Last edited:

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Insurance companies usually won't put artifacts in with home owners insurance, you have to have a rider. As someone who has been through this, with good appraisals, photos and documentation, good luck trying to collect from the insurance company.

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I added "Ag" to your "pillers"—I think you meant "pillars"—thereby creating "pillagers."

"Ag" is the chemical symbol for silver.

Pillagers—a word with inherent historical meanings—abscond with valuables like silver, which I assume you have in the collection that you're thinking to insure.

My joke was thus a play on the sarcastic meanings of your "pillers," the collection you may insure, and the historical context from which your items come.

But don't worry, I'm going to keep my day job.

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Well I was in town yesterday and from what I learned which wasn't much, I have a.d.d :tongue3:. It seems my idea of reburying what I have is my best option. To insure with this company would cost me too much and I hate throwing money away. I was so turned off by their quotes I just decided not to insure anything at all and keep the policy I have going, and I really don't want to pay that either. I hate insurance companies.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talk to State Farm about a "personal articles policy", that is what I have and cost is NOT bad at all. They have pictures and video of my collection in files .

I asked about appraisals and was told as long as they have the picures with estimated values I was fine, just like I do not have to have receipts for items in my home if i am broke into, just list of articles or video of contents. .

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
i might do that hunter , i have been having a few probs with this co. and several folks have mentioned that state farm was the way to go.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i might do that hunter , i have been having a few probs with this co. and several folks have mentioned that state farm was the way to go.

I pay less than$200 a year.

StevefromMissouri

Jun 26, 2008
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have mine in 6 lock boxes in the bank. $25 a box = $150/year for insurance. I've taken extensive pics and videos so I can still enjoy them. I also get them out about once a year to fondle and drool over. It's kind of a bummer to not be able to look at them anytime you want, but each piece is almost new and exciting as you pull them out after a year of being locked away.

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
but each piece is almost new and exciting as you pull them out after a year of being locked away.

Sounds kinda fun, like refinding them only thing is i dont trust banks, used to old timers didn't trust banks because they could get robbed by outlaws today i don't wanna put anything in banks because the banks are the outlaws. thanks steve

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread