Archaeologists hate you...........

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm a collector/hunter. Been hunting for over 20 years. But by no means does this make me an expert on artifacts. There are too many regions and too many flint types, and all I've ever hunted were ohio artifacts 90 percent adena and hopewell. Over the years on some of these artifact forums I have seen folks getting pretty interested in the artifacts they are finding and search for a broader understanding of prehistory. During this search I have seen people come to believe that they have anthropology degrees or have attended extensive lithic technology seminars. When in reality they are just well read rednecks unable to understand or put forth usable data available for the archaeological record. I made a comment few weeks ago on here about how I'm surprised that the government hasn't already taken away our rights to claim artifacts on private lands for ourselves (got 2 likes). But I'm not so sure I can say that I fully believe this. Maybe the government should step in and stop the hunting and sells of prehistorical relics. Doesn't prehistory belong to all of us. But the arrowhead hunter wants to dispute this on the claim that well these artifacts are just going to sit out there surfacing and reburying themselves, getting broke due to progress. Also we claim that this is my property or someone giving permissions property and what is on that property then belongs to them and the government has no right to take what is on ones property. Then there are the one's who make profits from buying and selling relics, the real enemies of the archaeological record. These folks disburse relics from their regions and mix up the record beyond comprehension. But at the same time so have government involvements and political relations. A large percent of ohio mound recoveries are in a museum in london or paris or some city abroad (forget where). So whats the big deal you might ask about something being put out of its region it still has study value and its history. Its not really about the disbursal but the separation of data. For example if one group of archs specializing in one culture had that one cultures complete record in front of them and available at any given time they could group together more specific data leading to a more comprehensive conclusions to prehistory, esp. when technology is getting more advanced and different techniques and ideas are being learned, we in turn as humankind may advance as we learn new things about ourselves as humans and thats what the whole study of lithics is based on, archaeology and anthropology, which isnt just studying about how rocks were knapped or how an axe was pecked, its more a look back to help organize our future. I used to think, how much can we learn from ancient cultures, there may be more to record but its going to lead eventually back to the beginning of man and heck we all know man began right. But the television show ancient aliens has opened my eyes to a whole new thinking :laughing7: (ya gotta love that right) yeah that show is pretty silly but some aspects of it is pretty interesting like the cities with stones cut with unexplainable precision etc. This leads me to look at things in a bit different. There is still lots to learn and I sometimes feel that when seeing shelters being dug and other sites I've seen people digging in on here that we might be helping to ruin a history we need to know. Take for example the silurian point found in va. that was 17,000 years old. That lone point rewrote the history of migration to north america dismantling the alaskan land bridge theory and showed us that native americans were a mix of asian and caucasian peoples. Just think if some collector from virginia found that and had it in his collection never to be studied.

Upvote 0

11KBP

Oct 7, 2008
Central Great Plains
Take for example the silurian point found in va. that was 17,000 years old. That lone point rewrote the history of migration to north america dismantling the alaskan land bridge theory and showed us that native americans were a mix of asian and caucasian peoples. Just think if some collector from virginia found that and had it in his collection never to be studied.

I have to admit that the Solutrean-like point you are referring to is very interesting. However, saying that one lone, out-of-context point rewrote history is quite a stretch.

11KBP

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to admit that the Solutrean-like point you are referring to is very interesting. However, saying that one lone, out-of-context point rewrote history is quite a stretch.

11KBP

It rewrote the history of north american migration

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Solutrean doh! i got my fossils and doctor who humanoids mixed up with european caucasians

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
17k carbon date, 1/4 caucasion dna

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
figures you wouldn't have anything to contribute.

lets just look at your arrowhead pictures some more. :laughing7:

I mean you have them posted everywhere even on sports related websites

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
I mean you have them posted everywhere even on sports related websites

geesh i just reread my posts ,didn't mean to sound so mean

we still buddies steve ??:occasion14:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
was just talking to my good friend paleoheadhunter.you guys rememb

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
wow, i fell asleep three times trying to read your first post
then you answer your own post twelve times in one day?
you are the champion thread maker

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
ya martingeetars,
maybe he should take up guitar playing
that could keep him busy...............(but he probably already knows how)
now don't get mad here sohio, we are just having a little fun
gotta get to work now

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread