Archaeologists hate you...........
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Archaeologists hate you...........

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »

Dec 2010
    243 times
    pizza and ice cream
    Banner Finds (1)

Archaeologists hate you...........

I'm a collector/hunter. Been hunting for over 20 years. But by no means does this make me an expert on artifacts. There are too many regions and too many flint types, and all I've ever hunted were ohio artifacts 90 percent adena and hopewell. Over the years on some of these artifact forums I have seen folks getting pretty interested in the artifacts they are finding and search for a broader understanding of prehistory. During this search I have seen people come to believe that they have anthropology degrees or have attended extensive lithic technology seminars. When in reality they are just well read rednecks unable to understand or put forth usable data available for the archaeological record. I made a comment few weeks ago on here about how I'm surprised that the government hasn't already taken away our rights to claim artifacts on private lands for ourselves (got 2 likes). But I'm not so sure I can say that I fully believe this. Maybe the government should step in and stop the hunting and sells of prehistorical relics. Doesn't prehistory belong to all of us. But the arrowhead hunter wants to dispute this on the claim that well these artifacts are just going to sit out there surfacing and reburying themselves, getting broke due to progress. Also we claim that this is my property or someone giving permissions property and what is on that property then belongs to them and the government has no right to take what is on ones property. Then there are the one's who make profits from buying and selling relics, the real enemies of the archaeological record. These folks disburse relics from their regions and mix up the record beyond comprehension. But at the same time so have government involvements and political relations. A large percent of ohio mound recoveries are in a museum in london or paris or some city abroad (forget where). So whats the big deal you might ask about something being put out of its region it still has study value and its history. Its not really about the disbursal but the separation of data. For example if one group of archs specializing in one culture had that one cultures complete record in front of them and available at any given time they could group together more specific data leading to a more comprehensive conclusions to prehistory, esp. when technology is getting more advanced and different techniques and ideas are being learned, we in turn as humankind may advance as we learn new things about ourselves as humans and thats what the whole study of lithics is based on, archaeology and anthropology, which isnt just studying about how rocks were knapped or how an axe was pecked, its more a look back to help organize our future. I used to think, how much can we learn from ancient cultures, there may be more to record but its going to lead eventually back to the beginning of man and heck we all know man began right. But the television show ancient aliens has opened my eyes to a whole new thinking (ya gotta love that right) yeah that show is pretty silly but some aspects of it is pretty interesting like the cities with stones cut with unexplainable precision etc. This leads me to look at things in a bit different. There is still lots to learn and I sometimes feel that when seeing shelters being dug and other sites I've seen people digging in on here that we might be helping to ruin a history we need to know. Take for example the silurian point found in va. that was 17,000 years old. That lone point rewrote the history of migration to north america dismantling the alaskan land bridge theory and showed us that native americans were a mix of asian and caucasian peoples. Just think if some collector from virginia found that and had it in his collection never to be studied.
    Papatrap likes this.
    Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it......not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. ~Michael Scott~

us
    Oct 2008
    Central Great Plains
    514 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SOHIO View Post
    Take for example the silurian point found in va. that was 17,000 years old. That lone point rewrote the history of migration to north america dismantling the alaskan land bridge theory and showed us that native americans were a mix of asian and caucasian peoples. Just think if some collector from virginia found that and had it in his collection never to be studied.
    I have to admit that the Solutrean-like point you are referring to is very interesting. However, saying that one lone, out-of-context point rewrote history is quite a stretch.

11KBP

Dec 2010
    243 times
    pizza and ice cream
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by 11KBP View Post
    I have to admit that the Solutrean-like point you are referring to is very interesting. However, saying that one lone, out-of-context point rewrote history is quite a stretch.

11KBP
    It rewrote the history of north american migration
    Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it......not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be. ~Michael Scott~

Dec 2010
    243 times
    pizza and ice cream
    Banner Finds (1)
    Solutrean doh! i got my fossils and doctor who humanoids mixed up with european caucasians

us
    Oct 2008
    Central Great Plains
    514 times
    It rewrote the history of north american migration
    Okay, maybe for you.

I would like to see a little more solid evidence than one artifact dredged up 40 miles off of the coast.

Dec 2010
    243 times
    pizza and ice cream
    Banner Finds (1)
    17k carbon date, 1/4 caucasion dna

us
    Feb 2012
    Ct.
    24 times
    Relic Hunting
    17k carbon date, 1/4 caucasion dna

you goin off the deep end again? lol
    I close my eyes, only for a moment and the moments gone......

Dec 2010
    243 times
    pizza and ice cream
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by flintmel View Post
    where ya been, its fact

Dec 2010
    243 times
    pizza and ice cream
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by flintmel View Post
    thats why i wear big boots

Dec 2010
    243 times
    pizza and ice cream
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper View Post
    Pot calling the Kettle black?? lol
    I was hoping you wouldn't notice that

Dec 2010
    243 times
    pizza and ice cream
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper View Post
    Pot calling the Kettle black?? lol
    figures you wouldn't have anything to contribute.

lets just look at your arrowhead pictures some more.

Dec 2010
    243 times
    pizza and ice cream
    Banner Finds (1)
    figures you wouldn't have anything to contribute.

lets just look at your arrowhead pictures some more.
    I mean you have them posted everywhere even on sports related websites

Dec 2010
    243 times
    pizza and ice cream
    Banner Finds (1)
    I mean you have them posted everywhere even on sports related websites
    geesh i just reread my posts ,didn't mean to sound so mean

we still buddies steve ??

us
    Dec 2007
    Southeast Ohio
    50 times

May 2012
    6036 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    was just talking to my good friend paleoheadhunter.you guys rememb

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links