matteliano454

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2012
Folkston, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello, this is my first post on Treasure Net. While tilling my garden, I found this object. There were no other pieces with it. To give you an idea of my location, I am in south east Georgia, about 18 miles south of Folkston, GA. Although I haven't searched myself yet, arrowheads and other artifacts are found here fairly easily. The soil type here is very sandy. It's not common to find rocks of any type in the soil, which is strange to me, because I grew up in the Buffalo, NY area, and you couldn't put a shovel an inch in the ground without hitting rocks. I do know that this is considered the coastal plain, and it used to be ocean bottom at one time. As for the object I found, it looks like it came from a rock that was rounded (not round), and split into several pieces. The inside surfaces are very shiny. There are two interesting depressions on the rock that would seem to fit fingers perfectly if using it to form other tools, or arrowheads, but that is pure speculation from someone with no experience in such matters. Here are some pics. If you would like any others let me know, and I'll try to get any other angles that may be helpful. Various 013.JPG Various 015.JPG Various 016.JPG Various 017.JPG Various 018.JPG Various 019.JPG Various 020.JPG Various 021.JPG Various 022.JPG Various 023.JPG Various 024.JPG

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just looks like a piece of quartz rock that has been broken, nothing in pictures i can see indicates anything.

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
M

matteliano454

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2012
Folkston, GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dang, was hoping I had something. Thanks for your evaluations.

Harry Pristis

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2009
Northcentral Florida
A quartzite pebble, probably washed down from the Appalachian Mountains. These sediments from the Appalachians filled in the seaway known as the Suwannee Strait that came your way, long before humans were there.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, keep lookin though. I would tell you to always think, 'what would I use this for?' but apparently people didn't get that. I meant to consider it in the context it was found, perhaps surrounding artifacts, and evidence of wear and use. Never fall into the trap of 'it fits perfectly in the hand' either. Every rock I pick up fits perfectly in my hand. Means nothing.

OP
OP
M

matteliano454

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2012
Folkston, GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep RGINN, I know what you mean about it fits perfectly in the hand. It sure did. I even had depressions for fingers..:D

OP
OP
M

matteliano454

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2012
Folkston, GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Deleted--multiple post